* problem w/ auth-required nntp site
@ 2002-09-02  3:32 James H. Cloos Jr.
From: James H. Cloos Jr. @ 2002-09-02  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been unable to convince gnus to access an auth-required nntp
server I recently re-subscribed to.

The server responds with:

200 hostname.elided.com InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.3.2 ready (posting ok).

upon connection and after mode reader, and never gives a 480
response.  It does however respond with:

215 Newsgroups in form "group high low flags".
.

to a list command.

I tried this in ~/.authinfo:

machine hostname.elided.com login ME password PASSWD force

but it was ignored, AFAICT.

So how do I force gnus to authenticate even when it thinks it doesn't
need to?

Or is it just a bug in v5.9.0?

-JimC

* Re: problem w/ auth-required nntp site
@ 2002-09-03  1:13 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-09-03  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

"James H. Cloos Jr." <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:

> I've been unable to convince gnus to access an auth-required nntp
> server I recently re-subscribed to.
>
> I tried this in ~/.authinfo:
>
> machine hostname.elided.com login ME password PASSWD force
>
> but it was ignored, AFAICT.
>
> So how do I force gnus to authenticate even when it thinks it doesn't
> need to?

Maybe it works to add `nntp-send-authinfo' to `nntp-server-opened-hook'.

* Re: problem w/ auth-required nntp site
@ 2002-09-03  1:24   ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-09-03  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:

> "James H. Cloos Jr." <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:
>
>> I've been unable to convince gnus to access an auth-required nntp
>> server I recently re-subscribed to.
>>
>> I tried this in ~/.authinfo:
>>
>> machine hostname.elided.com login ME password PASSWD force
>>
>> but it was ignored, AFAICT.
>>
>> So how do I force gnus to authenticate even when it thinks it doesn't
>> need to?
>
> Maybe it works to add `nntp-send-authinfo' to `nntp-server-opened-hook'.

`nntp-send-authinfo' should be called by default.  Perhaps edebugging
n-s-a helps?

Hm.  Maybe the port must be specified, perhaps the following .authinfo
line work better?

machine hostname.elided.com login ME password port nntp PASSWD force

* Re: problem w/ auth-required nntp site
@ 2002-09-04  4:34     ` James H. Cloos Jr.
From: James H. Cloos Jr. @ 2002-09-04  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon> `nntp-send-authinfo' should be called by default.  Perhaps
Simon> edebugging n-s-a helps?

It does get called for other hosts, but only when the request auth.

Simon> Hm.  Maybe the port must be specified, perhaps the following
Simon> .authinfo line work better?

That made no difference.

I traced the session of a browse attempt.  It looks like:

200 pyramid.sjgames.com InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.3.2 ready (posting ok).
MODE READER
200 pyramid.sjgames.com InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.3.2 ready (posting ok).
LIST
215 Newsgroups in form "group high low flags".
.
QUIT
205 .

even though force is included in the ~/.authinfo file.

* Re: problem w/ auth-required nntp site
@ 2002-09-04  4:42     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-09-04  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:
>
>>> So how do I force gnus to authenticate even when it thinks it doesn't
>>> need to?
>>
>> Maybe it works to add `nntp-send-authinfo' to `nntp-server-opened-hook'.
>
> `nntp-send-authinfo' should be called by default.

I haven't looked at the code, but I remember that I had to add it to use
one particular server -- but that was a couple of years ago, so maybe it
has changed.

* Re: problem w/ auth-required nntp site
@ 2002-09-04  6:04       ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-09-04  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Simon> `nntp-send-authinfo' should be called by default.  Perhaps
> Simon> edebugging n-s-a helps?
>
> It does get called for other hosts, but only when the request auth.

nntp-open-connection calls n-s-a with SEND-IF-FORCE so the password
should be sent.  Isn't n-s-a called at all if the server don't request
authentication?  Very weird.  Could you edebug n-o-c to see why it
isn't invoking n-s-a?