* unwanted News and News/drafts directories
@ 1998-09-16 19:20 John H Palmieri
From: John H Palmieri @ 1998-09-16 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pterodactyl Gnus v0.31
GNU Emacs 20.3.1 (sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1, X toolkit) of Thu Aug 27 1998 on darwin

Hi,

I would like to keep all of my mail and news files in the directory
~/Mail, so I've put the following in my .gnus file:

(setq gnus-directory (expand-file-name "~/Mail/News")
      gnus-kill-files-directory (expand-file-name "~/Mail/News")
      gnus-dribble-directory (expand-file-name "~/Mail/News")
      gnus-nocem-directory (expand-file-name "~/Mail/News/NoCeM")
      nndraft-directory (expand-file-name "~/Mail/News"))

I don't know if I really need all of these lines, but anyway...

Every now and then, I notice the existence of directories ~/News and
~/News/drafts.  Two questions:
  1. Where did they come from?
  2. How do I keep them from coming into existence in the future?

This is an annoying sort of bug to report, because I haven't figured
out what actions cause these directories to be created.  In fact, it
acts sort of like the electron/double slit experiment: as long as I'm
paying attention, running "ls" every now and then to see if the ~/News
directory has appeared, it doesn't appear.  If I forget to check for a
few hours, then suddenly ~/News is there.  It's a new breakthrough in
quantum computing, I guess.

I don't see any suspicious-looking lines in my .newsrc.eld file, and I
don't know where else to look.  Any suggestions?

--
John H. Palmieri
e-mail: palmieri@member.ams.org        205 Computing/Mathematics Building

* Re: unwanted News and News/drafts directories
@ 1998-09-19 12:23 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-19 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

John H Palmieri <John.H.Palmieri.2@nd.edu> writes:

> I would like to keep all of my mail and news files in the directory
> ~/Mail, so I've put the following in my .gnus file:
>
> (setq gnus-directory (expand-file-name "~/Mail/News")

You should set these things in .emacs instead, since much of Gnus has
been loaded when .gnus is evaled.

* Re: unwanted News and News/drafts directories
@ 1998-09-22 15:44 ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1998-09-22 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

John H Palmieri <John.H.Palmieri.2@nd.edu> writes:

> I would like to keep all of my mail and news files in the directory
> ~/Mail, so I've put the following in my .gnus file:
>
> (setq gnus-directory (expand-file-name "~/Mail/News")
>       gnus-kill-files-directory (expand-file-name "~/Mail/News")
>       gnus-dribble-directory (expand-file-name "~/Mail/News")
>       gnus-nocem-directory (expand-file-name "~/Mail/News/NoCeM")
>       nndraft-directory (expand-file-name "~/Mail/News"))

Move that from ~/.gnus to ~/.emacs, so that those variables are set
when Gnus starts.

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.

* Re: unwanted News and News/drafts directories
@ 1998-09-22 17:29   ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 1998-09-22 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:

> John H Palmieri <John.H.Palmieri.2@nd.edu> writes:

> > I would like to keep all of my mail and news files in the directory
> > ~/Mail, so I've put the following in my .gnus file:
> >
> > (setq gnus-directory (expand-file-name "~/Mail/News")
> >       gnus-kill-files-directory (expand-file-name "~/Mail/News")
> >       gnus-dribble-directory (expand-file-name "~/Mail/News")
> >       gnus-nocem-directory (expand-file-name "~/Mail/News/NoCeM")
> >       nndraft-directory (expand-file-name "~/Mail/News"))

> Move that from ~/.gnus to ~/.emacs, so that those variables are set
> when Gnus starts.

Is that move really needed?  I preset all directory variables for Gnus in my
`.gnus' file instead of `.emacs'; it seems to work as expected for me.

--
François Pinard                            mailto:pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
Join the free Translation Project!    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard

* Re: unwanted News and News/drafts directories
@ 1998-09-22 18:25     ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1998-09-22 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:
>
> > John H Palmieri <John.H.Palmieri.2@nd.edu> writes:
>
> > > (setq gnus-directory (expand-file-name "~/Mail/News")

> > Move that from ~/.gnus to ~/.emacs, so that those variables are set
> > when Gnus starts.

> Is that move really needed?  I preset all directory variables for Gnus in my
> `.gnus' file instead of `.emacs'; it seems to work as expected for me.

Several variables inherit from gnus-directory at startup time.  If
that variable is not already set, then the others will inherit the
wrong value.

Yes, the move is necessary.

It is certainly possible that one could carefully arrange things to be
set in ~/.gnus and have them work correctly, but there is a strong
posibility that one would forget to set at least one of the directory
variables.

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.

* Re: unwanted News and News/drafts directories
@ 1998-09-23 12:56       ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 1998-09-23 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> écrit:
> François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:
> > Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:

> > > Move that from ~/.gnus to ~/.emacs, so that those variables are set
> > > when Gnus starts.

> > Is that move really needed?  I preset all directory variables for Gnus in my
> > `.gnus' file instead of `.emacs'; it seems to work as expected for me.

> Several variables inherit from gnus-directory at startup time.  If that
> variable is not already set, then the others will inherit the wrong value.
> Yes, the move is necessary.

For a long while, I used in `.gnus' (not in `.emacs') the following:

(setq gnus-default-directory (expand-file-name "~/")
      gnus-kill-files-directory "~/.scores"
      nndraft-directory "~/.nndraft/drafts/"
      nnml-directory "~/.nnmail/"
      gnus-soup-directory "~/.soup-brew/"
      nnsoup-directory "~/.soup/"
      gnus-article-save-directory "~/")

[The above is extracted from something bigger, I hope I did not forget any.]

> It is certainly possible that one could carefully arrange things to be set
> in ~/.gnus and have them work correctly, but there is a strong posibility
> that one would forget to set at least one of the directory variables.

One thing I see is that I use `gnus-default-directory', and that I did not
touch `gnus-directory', which still has "~/News/" as a value, here.  I do
not even have an existing "~/News" directory!  Looking at both docstrings,
they seem unrelated.  Also, the documentation of `gnus-directory' does
explicitly suggest that it be initialised from `.emacs', not `.gnus'.

The first time I played with these variables, years ago, it did not work
as I expected.  I reported a bug, Lars corrected something, and it works
since then.