* Charset problem when using agent in Pterodactyl Gnus 0.27
@ 1998-09-16  9:02 Bjørn Mork
From: Bjørn Mork @ 1998-09-16  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii", Size: 695 bytes --]

Sorry for not having tested on a newer version. I am currently working
offline due to bandwidth restrictions. Please ignore if already fixed.
I am using GNU Emacs 20.3

I have observed two problems when using agent:
1) when I enter the nndraft:queue group I see those ugly \201's. If I edit
   one of the articles there, the \201 will temporarily go away in this
   article after reposting it.
2) when I post online, the Content-Type header is fine (iso-8859-1). In the
   agent queue the CT header is still fine. But when I look at my own
   posts after having uploaded them, the charset is suddenly changed to
   us-ascii. Weird.

You can probably see the result in this post.

Bjørn
.

* Re: Charset problem when using agent in Pterodactyl Gnus 0.27
@ 1998-09-16  9:27 ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1998-09-16  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bjørn Mork" <bmork@dod.no> writes:
> Sorry for not having tested on a newer version. I am currently working
> offline due to bandwidth restrictions. Please ignore if already fixed.
> I am using GNU Emacs 20.3
>
> I have observed two problems when using agent:
> 1) when I enter the nndraft:queue group I see those ugly \201's. If I edit
>    one of the articles there, the \201 will temporarily go away in this
>    article after reposting it.
> 2) when I post online, the Content-Type header is fine (iso-8859-1). In the
>    agent queue the CT header is still fine. But when I look at my own
>    posts after having uploaded them, the charset is suddenly changed to
>    us-ascii. Weird.
>
> You can probably see the result in this post.

Yep, I have reported this too (I think :-) ).

Also, I had some problems with a newsserver this morning, where it hung
when I tried to post an article while plugged (precisely because of the
font problem).  After Ctrl-G'ing frantically, it eventually got unhung,
and I tried reposting, same result.  Third time lucky, and I enter the
group only to my horror to see three identical articles by yours truly.

Funny thing is that the articles which had hung are marked has CT
us-ascii, and the article that didn't hang has CT iso-8859-1.
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen, Software Engineer, Mjolner Informatics ApS
lbr@mjolner.dk

* Re: Charset problem when using agent in Pterodactyl Gnus 0.27
@ 1998-09-16 10:07 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-16 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bjørn Mork" <bmork@dod.no> writes:

> 1) when I enter the nndraft:queue group I see those ugly \201's. If I edit
>    one of the articles there, the \201 will temporarily go away in this
>    article after reposting it.

You get \201's only in the queue group?  I'm unable to reproduce this
bug.

> 2) when I post online, the Content-Type header is fine (iso-8859-1). In the
>    agent queue the CT header is still fine. But when I look at my own
>    posts after having uploaded them, the charset is suddenly changed to
>    us-ascii. Weird.

I think I've located and fixed this bug.  Could you check after
Pterodactyl Gnus v0.32 has been released to see whether things start
working?

* Re: Charset problem when using agent in Pterodactyl Gnus 0.27
@ 1998-09-24 16:08   ` Bjørn Mork
From: Bjørn Mork @ 1998-09-24 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> "Bjørn Mork" <bmork@dod.no> writes:
>
> > 1) when I enter the nndraft:queue group I see those ugly \201's. If I edit
> >    one of the articles there, the \201 will temporarily go away in this
> >    article after reposting it.
>
> You get \201's only in the queue group?  I'm unable to reproduce this
> bug.

I still get them in the nndraft:queue summary buffer . They also appear in the
summary buffer in other groups when I do "A R" (gnus-summary-refer-references).
But only in the summary of the referenced articles.

A thought: I am running emacs with --unibyte. Maybe I shouldn't do that?

> > 2) when I post online, the Content-Type header is fine (iso-8859-1). In the
> >    agent queue the CT header is still fine. But when I look at my own
> >    posts after having uploaded them, the charset is suddenly changed to
> >    us-ascii. Weird.
>
> I think I've located and fixed this bug.  Could you check after
> Pterodactyl Gnus v0.32 has been released to see whether things start
> working?

Yup, fixed. I am posting this article un-plugged.

Bjørn
.

* Re: Charset problem when using agent in Pterodactyl Gnus 0.27
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-29 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bjørn Mork" <bmork@dod.no> writes:

> I still get them in the nndraft:queue summary buffer . They also
> appear in the summary buffer in other groups when I do "A R"
> (gnus-summary-refer-references).  But only in the summary of the
> referenced articles.
>
> A thought: I am running emacs with --unibyte. Maybe I shouldn't do that?

I am able to reproduce the queue problem, but I just can't seem to
make it go away.  I've debugged and stuff, but I just can't see why
the darn things are decoded prematurely (and therefore, twice).