* Quimby problems
@ 2002-03-23  9:29 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-03-23  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm having problems with inn on Quimby.  It's receiving a gazillion
hipcrime newgroup messages, and this seems to be killing it, even
though I've put "drop" into all the newgroup rules.  (Before that, it
just got to a load of 80, and then died.)

Anybody got any suggestions as to what I should be doing?

* Re: Quimby problems
@ 2002-03-23  9:44 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2002-03-23  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Anybody got any suggestions as to what I should be doing?

Switching to controlchan should serialize control message processing,
thus reducing the system load.

* Re: Quimby problems
@ 2002-03-23  9:49   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-03-23  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Switching to controlchan should serialize control message processing,
> thus reducing the system load.

Ok; I've now uncommented the controlchan bits from the newsfeeds file.

* Re: Quimby problems
@ 2002-03-23 11:32     ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2002-03-23 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Ok; I've now uncommented the controlchan bits from the newsfeeds file.

You also need "usecontrolchan" in inn.conf.

* Re: Quimby problems
@ 2002-03-23 15:55 ` Mark Milhollan
From: Mark Milhollan @ 2002-03-23 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I'm having problems with inn on Quimby.  It's receiving a gazillion
>hipcrime newgroup messages, and this seems to be killing it, even
>though I've put "drop" into all the newgroup rules.  (Before that, it
>just got to a load of 80, and then died.)

Is Quimby a leaf?  Could you live without control messages, adding or
removing groups manually?  If so you might ask your upstreams/peers to
eliminate them from your feed.  (Leave the controlchan stuff in place,
in case of leaks.)

/mark