* xemacs hang while gnus is trying to cope with flakey server
@ 2000-11-20 12:54 Laura Conrad
From: Laura Conrad @ 2000-11-20 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm finding that gnus is dealing badly with my new isp's newsserver.
I think the right answer is to start using leafnode and let it just
give up when it can't cope without making me wait for it in real
time.  But before I do that, I'm willing to do any debugging people
want to suggest, although it will probably behave fine if I'm waiting
to trap it somehow.

The usual symptom is that gnus takes forever to come back when I say
"g", and then when I ^g out of it, it does deny the server, but also
seems to have forgotten the marks in all of the groups in that server.

Last night, however, even ^G didn't get out of the loop, and I got
this backtrace when I killed the xemacs:

Lisp backtrace follows:

  # (unwind-protect ...)
  open-network-stream-internal("nntpd" #<buffer " *server news-east.speakeasy.net nntp  *nntpd**"> "news-east.speakeasy.net" "nntp")
  # bind (service host buffer name)
  open-network-stream("nntpd" #<buffer " *server news-east.speakeasy.net nntp  *nntpd**"> "news-east.speakeasy.net" "nntp")
  # bind (buffer)
  nntp-open-network-stream(#<buffer " *server news-east.speakeasy.net nntp  *nntpd**">)
  # bind (coding-system-for-read coding-system-for-write)
  byte-code("..." [nntp-coding-system-for-read nntp-coding-system-for-write coding-system-for-write coding-system-for-read nntp-open-connection-function pbuffer] 2)
  # (condition-case ... . ((error) (quit)))
  # bind (timer pbuffer buffer)
  nntp-open-connection(#<buffer " *nntpd*">)
  # bind (connectionless defs server)
  nntp-open-server("news-east.speakeasy.net" nil)
  # bind (elem gnus-command-method)
  gnus-open-server((nntp "news-east.speakeasy.net"))
  # bind (method server)
  #<compiled-function (server) "...(37)" [gnus-server-to-method server method error "No such server: %s" gnus-server-set-status ok gnus-open-server message "Couldn't open %s" nil gnus-server-update-server gnus-server-position-point] 4 ("/home/lconrad/src/gnus-cvs/gnus/lisp/gnus-srvr.elc" . 8485) (list (gnus-server-server-name))>("news-east.speakeasy.net")
  call-interactively(gnus-server-open-server)
  # (condition-case ... . error)
  # (catch top-level ...)

[1]-  Broken pipe             xemacs -f gnus

I have the server set up as a foreign server, i.e. not my primary or
secondary source, and defined to come up denied in my .gnus:

(add-to-list 'gnus-opened-servers '((nntp "news-east.speakeasy.net")
denied))

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@laymusic.org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (801) 365-6574

* Re: xemacs hang while gnus is trying to cope with flakey server
@ 2000-11-20 13:07 ` Gunnar Evermann
From: Gunnar Evermann @ 2000-11-20 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Laura Conrad <lconrad@laymusic.org> writes:

> The usual symptom is that gnus takes forever to come back when I say
> "g", and then when I ^g out of it, it does deny the server, but also
> seems to have forgotten the marks in all of the groups in that server.
>
> Last night, however, even ^G didn't get out of the loop, and I got
> this backtrace when I killed the xemacs:

Please always include the output of 'M-x describe-installation' in bug
reports. I assume this is 21.1 on some kind of Linux? Did you type the
C-g in an X window or a TTY (e.g. gnuclient -nw)?

> Lisp backtrace follows:
>
>   # (unwind-protect ...)
>   open-network-stream-internal("nntpd" #<buffer " *server news-east.speakeasy.net nntp  *nntpd**"> "news-east.speakeasy.net" "nntp")

yes, this is a bug in XEmacs. We are working on a solution.

 Gunnar

* Re: xemacs hang while gnus is trying to cope with flakey server
@ 2000-11-20 13:20 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-11-20 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Laura Conrad <lconrad@laymusic.org> writes:

> I'm finding that gnus is dealing badly with my new isp's newsserver.
> I think the right answer is to start using leafnode and let it just
> give up when it can't cope without making me wait for it in real
> time.  But before I do that, I'm willing to do any debugging people
> want to suggest, although it will probably behave fine if I'm waiting
> to trap it somehow.
>
> The usual symptom is that gnus takes forever to come back when I say
> "g", and then when I ^g out of it, it does deny the server, but also
> seems to have forgotten the marks in all of the groups in that server.
>
> Last night, however, even ^G didn't get out of the loop, and I got
> this backtrace when I killed the xemacs:
>
> Lisp backtrace follows:
>
>   # (unwind-protect ...)
>   open-network-stream-internal("nntpd" #<buffer " *server news-east.speakeasy.net nntp  *nntpd**"> "news-east.speakeasy.net" "nntp")

You need a timeout for nntp-open-connection, but
nntp-connection-timeout does not work for open-network-stream because
in both Emacs 20 and XEmacs 21 the timer is ignored when connecting.
Maybe it works for an external program (for example, (setq
nntp-open-connection-function 'nntp-open-telnet)). I never try it.

ShengHuo