* ^ ! fails
@ 2001-11-21  8:42 Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2001-11-21  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

        I've just noticed something strange: I was browsing a newsgroup when I
found a post with a reference, typed ^ (the related article was not present in
the summary buffer so it appeared), decided to tick it and it failed because
the article got a number of -1.

        It seems that this happens on foreign servers. My primary news server
does not suffer from this problem.

Any idea ?

--
Didier Verna, didier@lrde.epita.fr, http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier

EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire   Tel.+33 (1) 53 14 59 47
94276 Le Kremlin-Bicêtre, France   Fax.+33 (1) 53 14 59 22   didier@xemacs.org

* Re: ^ ! fails
@ 2001-11-21  9:09 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-11-21  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Didier Verna <didier@lrde.epita.fr> writes:

> I've just noticed something strange: I was browsing a newsgroup when
> I found a post with a reference, typed ^ (the related article was
> not present in the summary buffer so it appeared), decided to tick
> it and it failed because the article got a number of -1.

If the message header has been downloaded already (due to (setq
gnus-fetch-old-headers t), perhaps), then hitting ^ will show that
message and all will be fine.

But if the message header has NOT been downloaded already, then Gnus
fetches the message by giving the message id, and then assigns an
arbitrary article number of -1.

But ticking needs the real article number.

This problem should be solved, but it is not trivial: due to
crossposting and Followup-To, the article fetched with ^ might come
from a different group entirely.

Would you like to work on this?

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)

* Re: ^ ! fails
@ 2001-11-21  9:20   ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2001-11-21  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Gnus Beta Testers

        Thanks for the explaination.

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:

> Would you like to work on this?

        I've put it on my LINO[1] todo list, but if it takes more than five
minutes to write the fix, I'm not likely to get to it in the next few months
:-(

Footnotes:
[1]  Last In Never Out :-)