* Agent Q
@ 2010-12-14 18:36 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-12-14 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nognus

I'm trying the agent again.

What do I need to do in order to get it do download all bodies?

I tried gnus-agent-batch but it only seems to fetch headers.

Lets pretend I have started from the very beginning and have set
gnus-agent to t. I have used J j to unplug. I see no messages as
expected. I "plug in" with J j once more. I agentise my nntp
servers. What do I have to do here to have gnus (preferably in the bg)
download all messages in my agentised groups?

cheers

r.

* Re: Agent Q
@ 2010-12-14 22:27 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-14 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> Lets pretend I have started from the very beginning and have set
> gnus-agent to t. I have used J j to unplug. I see no messages as
> expected. I "plug in" with J j once more. I agentise my nntp
> servers. What do I have to do here to have gnus (preferably in the bg)
> download all messages in my agentised groups?

`J s'.

* Re: Agent Q
@ 2010-12-14 22:54   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-12-14 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Lets pretend I have started from the very beginning and have set
>> gnus-agent to t. I have used J j to unplug. I see no messages as
>> expected. I "plug in" with J j once more. I agentise my nntp
>> servers. What do I have to do here to have gnus (preferably in the bg)
>> download all messages in my agentised groups?
>
> `J s'.

It doesnt get them. It only gets the headers.

I'll double check my settings.

Thats said, J s does refresh the groups (headers only) when plugged in
but "g" doesnt. Why is that? If we're plugged shouldnt "g" work as
before? Or is it just broken on my set up perhaps?

* Re: Agent Q
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-14 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

>> `J s'.
>
> It doesnt get them. It only gets the headers.

By default, it should get all articles (except the ones that are really
long).  And it does that for me.

> Thats said, J s does refresh the groups (headers only) when plugged in
> but "g" doesnt. Why is that? If we're plugged shouldnt "g" work as
> before? Or is it just broken on my set up perhaps?

It sounds really odd.  If you're plugged, then `g' should, er, like
update everything.

* Re: Agent Q
@ 2010-12-14 23:58       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-12-14 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>>> `J s'.
>>
>> It doesnt get them. It only gets the headers.
>
> By default, it should get all articles (except the ones that are really
> long).  And it does that for me.

use case example.

I enter a nntp group and tell it to fetch 2000 articles.

A while later I go "unplugged". I enter that group and the headers are
there. I select an article I havent previously read and it "marks it for
download". Its not getting the bodies. I cant see any setting in my
custom.el. Am I misunderstanding how it should work? If I am using agent
and am "plugged" it seems pointless not to default to getting the bodies
too.

>> Thats said, J s does refresh the groups (headers only) when plugged in
>> but "g" doesnt. Why is that? If we're plugged shouldnt "g" work as
>> before? Or is it just broken on my set up perhaps?
>
> It sounds really odd.  If you're plugged, then `g' should, er, like
> update everything.

It updates nearly everything. I cant put my finger on what its not yet -
possibly ones with pending body downloads? I'll try and pinpoint it
further.

--
☘ http://www.shamrockirishbar.com, http://splash-of-open-sauce.blogspot.com/ http://www.richardriley.net

* Re: Agent Q
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-15 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> I enter a nntp group and tell it to fetch 2000 articles.
>
> A while later I go "unplugged". I enter that group and the headers are
> there. I select an article I havent previously read and it "marks it for
> download". Its not getting the bodies. I cant see any setting in my
> custom.el. Am I misunderstanding how it should work? If I am using agent
> and am "plugged" it seems pointless not to default to getting the bodies
> too.

See "Agent Categories" in the manual and related nodes.

* Re: Agent Q
@ 2010-12-16 19:26           ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-12-16 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> I enter a nntp group and tell it to fetch 2000 articles.
>>
>> A while later I go "unplugged". I enter that group and the headers are
>> there. I select an article I havent previously read and it "marks it for
>> download". Its not getting the bodies. I cant see any setting in my
>> custom.el. Am I misunderstanding how it should work? If I am using agent
>> and am "plugged" it seems pointless not to default to getting the bodies
>> too.
>
> See "Agent Categories" in the manual and related nodes.

If someone could post a  simple example config that would be great.