* Fetching already read e-mail with IMAP source.
@ 2002-06-08 23:11 Jorge Godoy
From: Jorge Godoy @ 2002-06-08 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi! I have the following configuration in my ~/.gnus:

(setq
 '(mail-sources (quote ((imap :server "localhost" :user "godoy"
                              :authentication cram-md5 :stream ssl))))
)

But when I've read some messages through webmail, they don't get
downloaded to Gnus. I have to mark them as unread and them I'll be
able to download them with gnus. The problem is that I loose the marks
I've done and I have to read again several messages.

Is there any way to make Gnus behave as fetchmail (with it's
"fetchall" keyword) or to download already read messages (preferably
keeping the read status)?

Thanks,
--
Godoy.     <godoy@ieee.org>

* Re: Fetching already read e-mail with IMAP source.
@ 2002-06-09  1:49 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-06-09  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jorge Godoy <godoy@ieee.org> writes:

> Hi! I have the following configuration in my ~/.gnus:
>

> (setq
>  '(mail-sources (quote ((imap :server "localhost" :user "godoy"
>                               :authentication cram-md5 :stream ssl))))
> )
>
> But when I've read some messages through webmail, they don't get
> downloaded to Gnus. I have to mark them as unread and them I'll be
> able to download them with gnus. The problem is that I loose the marks
> I've done and I have to read again several messages.
>
> Is there any way to make Gnus behave as fetchmail (with it's
> "fetchall" keyword) or to download already read messages (preferably
> keeping the read status)?

How about frobing :predicate?

    `:predicate'
          The predicate used to find articles to fetch.  The default,
          `UNSEEN UNDELETED', is probably the best choice for most
          people, but if you sometimes peek in your mailbox with a IMAP
          client and mark some articles as read (or; SEEN) you might
          want to set this to `nil'.  Then all articles in the mailbox
          is fetched, no matter what.  For a complete list of
          predicates, see RFC 2060 section 6.4.4.

* Oort Gnus 0.08 - `Returning to the group buffer' ??
@ 2002-09-01 17:11   ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2002-09-01 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, people.

While using the anti-spam tool I described to you yesterday, I just notice
this bizarre behaviour with CVS Gnus:

[...]
No more unread articles (exiting)...
Studying 1 articles as `ham'... done!
No more unread newsgroups
Mark set
Returning to the group buffer           <---- !!
Studying 1 articles as `ham'... done!
No more unread newsgroups

For years, I enjoyed the automagical opening of the next group once a group is
fully read.  The case above occurred after reading the last message in the
last newsgroup.  The group is exited twice instead of once then?  This is not
welcome in my case that the `gnus-summary-prepare-exit-hook' gets run twice.
Could the behaviour be corrected, short of changing my reading habits?

* Re: Fetching already read e-mail with IMAP source.
@ 2002-09-01 20:38     ` Jeremy H. Brown
From: Jeremy H. Brown @ 2002-09-01 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Forum of ding/Gnus users

> How about frobing :predicate?

I don't know about oort, but 5.8.8 and 5.9.0 have a bug such that
setting :predicate nil doesn't work.  (I just reported this to the
bugs list; my apologies if it's been reported before.)

Since you can use functions as well as variables, I've worked around
the bug with this stupid function:

(defun nullity ()
	nil)

and then I use
      :predicate (nullity)  ; bug workaround for nil

Jeremy
gnus novice

* Re: Oort Gnus 0.08 - `Returning to the group buffer' ??
@ 2002-09-14  2:03     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-09-14  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

pinard@iro.umontreal.ca (François Pinard) writes:

> Hi, people.
>
> While using the anti-spam tool I described to you yesterday, I just notice
> this bizarre behaviour with CVS Gnus:
>

> [...]
> No more unread articles (exiting)...
> Studying 1 articles as `ham'... done!
> No more unread newsgroups
> Mark set
> Returning to the group buffer           <---- !!
> Studying 1 articles as `ham'... done!
> No more unread newsgroups
>

> For years, I enjoyed the automagical opening of the next group once a group is
> fully read.  The case above occurred after reading the last message in the
> last newsgroup.  The group is exited twice instead of once then?  This is not
> welcome in my case that the `gnus-summary-prepare-exit-hook' gets run twice.
> Could the behaviour be corrected, short of changing my reading habits?

Please check out the CVS and try. I hope I've corrected the behavior.

ShengHuo