* Re: Encoding Γειά σας
@ 1998-09-08 15:46 ` Michael Harnois
From: Michael Harnois @ 1998-09-08 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Most of the iso-8859-* charsets are encoded with the Q encoding (as in
> this article).  This obviously makes sense for *-1 and *-2, but does
> it makes sense for them all?  The text above encodes all characters,
> and that would surely be more efficiently done using the B encoding...

This subject line appears correctly in this reply, and in the article
buffer. However, in the message buffer, it appears as

E  [  10: Lars Magne Ingebrigt] Encoding ~~~~ ~~~

This is not desirable.

--
Michael D. Harnois, Redeemer Lutheran Church, Washburn, IA
mharnois@sbt.net                      aa0bt@aa0bt.ampr.org

* Encoding Γειά σας
@ 1998-09-08 19:53 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-08 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Most of the iso-8859-* charsets are encoded with the Q encoding (as in
this article).  This obviously makes sense for *-1 and *-2, but does
it makes sense for them all?  The text above encodes all characters,
and that would surely be more efficiently done using the B encoding...

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Encoding Γειά σας
@ 1998-09-09  9:07 ` Stephen Zander
From: Stephen Zander @ 1998-09-09  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Lars> Most of the iso-8859-* charsets are encoded with the Q
    Lars> encoding (as in this article).  This obviously makes sense
    Lars> for *-1 and *-2, but does it makes sense for them all?  The
    Lars> text above encodes all characters, and that would surely be
    Lars> more efficiently done using the B encoding...

Did you mean for something in this article to be charset
greek-iso8859-7?  I checked the headers which suggest you sent it as
us-ascii, so I'm a little confused.

Xemacs 20.4 (Mule), both pnus-0.15 & pgnus-0.22 display this behaviour.

--
Stephen
---

* Re: Encoding Γειά σας
@ 1998-09-09 15:03     ` Michael Harnois
From: Michael Harnois @ 1998-09-09 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What do you mean by "correctly", by the way?  As Greek letters?

Yup.

--

@ 1998-09-09 16:28         ` Michael Harnois
From: Michael Harnois @ 1998-09-09 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hm.  I get greek letters in all the buffers -- summary, article and
> message.  Do you run a muletilated XEmacs?

I do indeed.

--

@ 1998-09-09 17:07   ` Stephen Zander
From: Stephen Zander @ 1998-09-09 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, ding

    Stephen> Did you mean for something in this article to be charset
    Stephen> greek-iso8859-7?  I checked the headers which suggest you
    Stephen> sent it as us-ascii, so I'm a little confused.

Please ignore the man behind the keyboard.  He's an idiot.

What I get for only reading the ding m/l with a Mule enabled xemacs.

--
Stephen
---

@ 1998-09-10  0:07   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-10  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Harnois <mharnois@sbt.net> writes:

> This subject line appears correctly in this reply, and in the article
> buffer. However, in the message buffer, it appears as
>
> E  [  10: Lars Magne Ingebrigt] Encoding ~~~~ ~~~

Huh.  Hm.  I can't seem to get it so display thusly...

@ 1998-09-10  1:40       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-10  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-09-10  4:29           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-10  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Harnois <mharnois@sbt.net> writes:

> > Hm.  I get greek letters in all the buffers -- summary, article and
> > message.  Do you run a muletilated XEmacs?
>
> I do indeed.

Do you see anything that's different about the former buffer from the
two other buffers that can explain why the Greek characters aren't
displayed in that buffer?

* Re: Encoding Γειά σας
@ 1998-09-11 16:20 ` Hallvard B Furuseth
From: Hallvard B Furuseth @ 1998-09-11 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:

> The text above encodes all characters,
> and that would surely be more efficiently done using the B encoding...

I wonder how many news/mail agents have implemented QP but not base64?

--
Hallvard

* Re: Encoding Γειά σας
@ 1998-09-11 20:02     ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 1998-09-11 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> writes:

> > I wonder how many news/mail agents have implemented QP but not base64?

> I know there were a few in the past, but I would guess that more
> recent news/mail agents implement both.

Another mistake of the first days was to give no support to 8bit.  I guess,
or at least hope, that this has been corrected everywhere now.  Bad or
incomplete MIME implementations surely contributed in making MIME more
horrible than it was meant to be. :-)

--
François Pinard                            mailto:pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
Join the free Translation Project!    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard