* Hierarchic view of active file
@ 2000-01-25 16:24 Roman Belenov
From: Roman Belenov @ 2000-01-25 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is it possible to view active file hierarchically ? It's not
convenient to browse flat list of 20000+ newsgroups.

--
 							With regards, Roman.

* Re: Hierarchic view of active file
@ 2000-01-25 17:53 ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2000-01-25 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Roman Belenov <roman@nstl.nnov.ru> writes:

> Is it possible to view active file hierarchically ?  It's not
> convenient to browse flat list of 20000+ newsgroups.

It might be a useful feature (and surely a very good exercise :-) to
write an `active' mode for Emacs, that would suit especially well in
the Gnus package.  It could also give access the the group descriptions.
It could use Outline minor mode, after suitable buffer preparation.

* Re: Hierarchic view of active file
@ 2000-01-25 19:01 ` Andi Hechtbauer
From: Andi Hechtbauer @ 2000-01-25 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Roman Belenov <roman@nstl.nnov.ru> writes:

> Is it possible to view active file hierarchically ? It's not
> convenient to browse flat list of 20000+ newsgroups.

does A T (gnus-topic-list-active) do what you want?

HTH,
--
Andi Hechtbauer                                           anti@spin.de
System Administration                         voice: +49 941 94 65 937

* Re: Hierarchic view of active file
@ 2000-01-25 19:22   ` Roman Belenov
From: Roman Belenov @ 2000-01-25 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Andi Hechtbauer <anti@spin.de> writes:

> Roman Belenov <roman@nstl.nnov.ru> writes:
>
> > Is it possible to view active file hierarchically ? It's not
> > convenient to browse flat list of 20000+ newsgroups.
>
> does A T (gnus-topic-list-active) do what you want?

It gave me the same plain list, although it took several minutes to
complete.

--

@ 2000-01-25 19:23   ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2000-01-25 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Roman Belenov, ding

Andi Hechtbauer <anti@spin.de> writes:

> Roman Belenov <roman@nstl.nnov.ru> writes:

> > Is it possible to view active file hierarchically ? It's not
> > convenient to browse flat list of 20000+ newsgroups.

> does A T (gnus-topic-list-active) do what you want?

Wow!! :-)

* Re: Hierarchic view of active file
@ 2000-01-25 19:40     ` Andi Hechtbauer
From: Andi Hechtbauer @ 2000-01-25 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Roman Belenov <roman@nstl.nnov.ru> writes:

> Andi Hechtbauer <anti@spin.de> writes:
>
> > Roman Belenov <roman@nstl.nnov.ru> writes:
> >
> > > Is it possible to view active file hierarchically ? It's not
> > > convenient to browse flat list of 20000+ newsgroups.
> >
> > does A T (gnus-topic-list-active) do what you want?
>
> It gave me the same plain list, although it took several minutes to
> complete.

Maybe you need to toggle topic-mode `t' - I can't check right now...

Does this do the trick?

--

@ 2000-01-25 21:42       ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2000-01-25 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Roman Belenov, ding

Andi Hechtbauer <anti@spin.de> writes:

> Roman Belenov <roman@nstl.nnov.ru> writes:

> > Andi Hechtbauer <anti@spin.de> writes:

> > > does A T (gnus-topic-list-active) do what you want?
> >
> > It gave me the same plain list, although it took several minutes to
> > complete.

> Maybe you need to toggle topic-mode `t' - I can't check right now...

> Does this do the trick?

For the record, I almost use Topics group mode, and maybe that' why I
immediately got a nice "topicized" display.  Could we consider it a Gnus
bug if `A T' does not trigger a topicised display?

My active list, here, is rather short (at least compare to what Usenet
provides), only a few hundreds of mailgroups essentially.  Maybe `A T'
would be an heavy beast given tens of thousands of groups.  I can't check
either right now :-).

* Re: Hierarchic view of active file
@ 2000-01-26  9:45       ` Roman Belenov
From: Roman Belenov @ 2000-01-26  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Andi Hechtbauer <anti@spin.de> writes:

> Maybe you need to toggle topic-mode `t' - I can't check right now...
>
> Does this do the trick?

No, it only change the "topicness" of my mail groups. Note that nntp
is the secondary select method for me - does it matter ?

--
 							With regards, Roman.