* Happy customer I am! :-)
@ 2000-04-27  3:12 François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2000-04-27  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Forum of ding/Gnus users

Hello, Lars.  Copy to the list!

After a long and tedious session, reading a mailgroup, saving and marking
articles in various ways, I got bitten by a window manager bug (which
sometimes happens on this machine) by which the input focus was left within
the Emacs windows, despite the cursor was in another one.  So all characters
I quickly typed, wrongly went to Gnus.  The effect happened to be that Gnus
catched up on the mailgroup (with many articles still unsorted) and exited.

It would have been extremely tedious for me, redoing all that work again.
After thinking a bit about the problem, it was an easy matter to restore
`.newsrc.eld' from its backup, and similarly with `.newsrc-dribble'.
I edited out the last few lines of the dribble file, a bit at random,
and restarted Gnus.  On the second try: Bingo!  The catchup got undone!

Did I ever tell you that Gnus is a little wonder? :-)

* Re: Happy customer I am! :-)
@ 2000-04-27  5:26 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-04-27  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, Forum of ding/Gnus users

On Apr 27, 2000, François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> After thinking a bit about the problem, it was an easy matter to restore
> `.newsrc.eld' from its backup, and similarly with `.newsrc-dribble'.
> I edited out the last few lines of the dribble file, a bit at random,
> and restarted Gnus.  On the second try: Bingo!  The catchup got undone!

Did you try C-_ (or whatever key is bound to `undo'?

--
Alexandre Oliva    Enjoy Guaraná, see http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/
Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company        aoliva@{redhat, cygnus}.com