* deferring sending mail
@ 2010-12-08 13:09 Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2010-12-08 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

is there a better way to defer sending mail than setting
gnus-agent-queue-mail to 'always? Even with that, gnus still does gcc
processing when I send the message, I'd like all that handling to be
deferred. I supposed I could just use the drafts group, but then I have
to enter that group manually and send from there, and I'm a forgetful
chap.

Is there a better way (using feedmail suffers from the same issues as
gnus-agent-queue-mail, I think)?

Thanks

Robert

* Re: deferring sending mail
@ 2010-12-08 14:24 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2010-12-08 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 14:09:18 +0100, Robert wrote:

> is there a better way to defer sending mail than setting
> gnus-agent-queue-mail to 'always?

Does C-c C-d do what you want?

,----[ C-h k C-c C-d ]

`----

> I supposed I could just use the drafts group, but then I have to enter
> that group manually and send from there, and I'm a forgetful chap.

Oh, then C-c C-d probably wont help you. When do you want it sent, then?

If it is a specific time, maybe C-c C-j is useful:

,----[ C-h k C-c C-j ]
| C-c C-j runs the command gnus-delay-article, which is an interactive
| compiled Lisp function in `gnus-delay.el'.
|
| It is bound to C-c C-j, <menu-bar> <Message> <Send at Specific
| Time...>.
|
| (gnus-delay-article DELAY)
|
| Delay this article by some time.
| DELAY is a string, giving the length of the time.  Possible values are:

|   weeks (`w'), months (`M'), or years (`Y');
|
| * YYYY-MM-DD for a specific date.  The time of day is given by the
|   variable `gnus-delay-default-hour', minute and second are zero.
|
| * hh:mm for a specific time.  Use 24h format.  If it is later than this
|   time, then the deadline is tomorrow, else today.
|
| [back]
`----

If you just want it queued until you are online again, maybe the MTA
could handle that?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "It's also now officially a GNU project, so it's not         Adam Sjøgren
  going anywhere any time soon."                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: deferring sending mail
@ 2010-12-08 16:43   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-12-08 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

[...]

> If it is a specific time, maybe C-c C-j is useful:

[...]

> If you just want it queued until you are online again, maybe the MTA
> could handle that?

I use C-c C-j all the time.  My use case is:

1. fetch emails onto laptop,
2. get on train for long commute (either to or from work),
3. read and answer emails (using C-c C-j as I have a very simple MTA,
   one which doesn't queue emails, and I like it that way),
4. shut down laptop (for a number of reasons, I don't use
   suspend/hibernate),
5. get home/work and restart system including emacs,
6. start gnus, and
7. execute gnus-delay-send-queue.

I would like 7 to happen automatically upon 6 being done as I often
forget and my delayed emails sit there unsent.  My question is short:
which hook would be best to have gnus-delay-send-queue executed when
gnus starts?

The obvious would appear to be gnus-startup-hook but the documentation
is unclear as it refers to NNTP server...  Is this a holdover from the
view of Gnus for news alone?  The alternative is gnus-load-hook but in
this case the documentation doesn't make clear at what stage of the load
process this gets invoked ("a hook run while Gnus is loaded").  If
"while" were meant to be "once", this could be it?

Obviously I can try both and see what happens...  but I'm the train now
;-)

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1 + No Gnus v0.11

* Re: deferring sending mail
@ 2010-12-08 16:44   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2010-12-08 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 14:09:18 +0100, Robert wrote:
>
>> is there a better way to defer sending mail than setting
>> gnus-agent-queue-mail to 'always?
>
> Does C-c C-d do what you want?
>
> ,----[ C-h k C-c C-d ]
> | C-c C-d runs the command message-dont-send, which is an interactive
> | compiled Lisp function in `message.el'.
> |
> | It is bound to C-c C-d, <menu-bar> <Message> <Postpone Message>.
> |
> | (message-dont-send)
> |
> | Don't send the message you have been editing.
> | Instead, just auto-save the buffer and then bury it.
> |
> | [back]
> `----
>
>> I supposed I could just use the drafts group, but then I have to enter
>> that group manually and send from there, and I'm a forgetful chap.
>
> Oh, then C-c C-d probably wont help you. When do you want it sent, then?

When emacs is not doing anything else (ideally it would do it in the
background without interfering with anything else, but I guess I'll have
to wait for multi-threading for that ;-) ).

I'll see if it's possible to get the demon to send the draft messages.

> If you just want it queued until you are online again, maybe the MTA
> could handle that?

If I was on a platform with an MTA, a lot of things would be simpler,
unfortunately I'm stuck on Windows, so all this has to happen in the
MUA.

Thanks for the suggestions

Robert

* Re: deferring sending mail
@ 2010-12-08 17:40     ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2010-12-08 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> I'll see if it's possible to get the demon to send the draft messages.

No, is the short answer, and I don't have time to figure out
why. Probably due to not being in the drafts group.

It appears that the reason mail sending is slow for me is the gcc
processing I'm doing to an IMAP folder, so I've turned that off for now
:)

Robert

* Re: deferring sending mail
@ 2010-12-08 17:59     ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2010-12-08 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: ding

On Wed, Dec 08 2010, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> The obvious would appear to be gnus-startup-hook but the documentation
> is unclear as it refers to NNTP server...

Don't worry, it always talks about NNTP, but it's so nice it does not
really care where it connects nowadays. :)

That hook should be the right one.

--
Julien Danjou
❱ http://julien.danjou.info

* Re: deferring sending mail
@ 2010-12-08 19:50       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-12-08 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Julien Danjou <julien@danjou.info> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 08 2010, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>
>> The obvious would appear to be gnus-startup-hook but the documentation
>> is unclear as it refers to NNTP server...
>
> Don't worry, it always talks about NNTP, but it's so nice it does not
> really care where it connects nowadays. :)
>
> That hook should be the right one.

Excellent.  Thanks.  I'll try it out.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1 + No Gnus v0.11