* Suggestion for Red Gnus - Expand entire thread
@ 1996-07-20 19:37 Graham Murray
From: Graham Murray @ 1996-07-20 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Currently gnus only shows the direct line of 'parents' of unread
messages in the Summary buffer.  It would useful to have a function to
expand the display to show all the headers from all branches of the
currently selected thread (or to toggle between the full and current
format views.)

Could such a function be considered for Red gnus?

--
Graham Murray

* Re: Suggestion for Red Gnus - Expand entire thread
@ 1996-07-22  7:25 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-07-22  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Graham> Currently gnus only shows the direct line of 'parents' of
  Graham> unread messages in the Summary buffer.  It would useful to
  Graham> have a function to expand the display to show all the
  Graham> headers from all branches of the currently selected thread
  Graham> (or to toggle between the full and current format views.)

Seconded; but does T s already do what you want?

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: Suggestion for Red Gnus - Expand entire thread
@ 1996-07-23  6:38 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-07-23  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Graham Murray <graham@barnowl.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Currently gnus only shows the direct line of 'parents' of unread
> messages in the Summary buffer.

If you have `gnus-fetch-old-headers' set to `some'...

> It would useful to have a function to expand the display to show all
> the headers from all branches of the currently selected thread (or
> to toggle between the full and current format views.)

I think it would be very useful to have a command to show all articles
that belong to a thread, yes.  The only problem is that news servers
don't support this -- you can ask for the parent of an article, but
you can't ask for all the children of an article.  So doing this
basically means requesting the full NOV headers for all the articles
in the group.  I've put this on the Red Gnus todo list.

* Re: Suggestion for Red Gnus - Expand entire thread
@ 1996-07-25  7:19   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1996-07-25  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Graham Murray <graham@barnowl.demon.co.uk> writes:

> > It would useful to have a function to expand the display to show all
> > the headers from all branches of the currently selected thread (or
> > to toggle between the full and current format views.)
>
> The only problem is that news servers don't support this -- you can
> ask for the parent of an article, but you can't ask for all the
> children of an article.

You mean you can use Gnus to read news groups?  I thought it was just
a fancy mail reader?

It would work just fine in mail groups, which is where I usually want
to use it more than newsgroups.  However, it would be nice to have
under nntp groups, but I think you're right...  It'd be slow.

Wes