* batch downloading from remote server w/o local NNTP server?
@ 1998-10-07 15:59 Jochen_Hayek
From: Jochen_Hayek @ 1998-10-07 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Who else does something like that
or is interested in that kind of thing?

I mean, I don't want to bother running INN (or whatever)
on my notebook PC,
and I don't want to wait for the `timely expiration'
of those hundreds of messages under INN control,
but I rather want to expire/expunge those messages in my usual nnfolders
(or nnml if you prefer).

----------

Did I reinvent the wheel, or ...

----------

Well I use the `suck' package
to download news server batch files,
split the news messages into the ~/incoming directory
(somehow like procmail) (-> that's another one of my small python utilities),
and read them using regular nnfolders.

For posting I use a mail2news gateway.

Not that my approach is already handsome enough
to announce and distribute it,
but maybe people want to comment on it ...
.

* Re: batch downloading from remote server w/o local NNTP server?
@ 1998-10-07 16:36 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-10-07 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hm.  One possibility would be to use leafnode.  That's a nifty little
program which contains a little NNTP server and a program to fetch
news from an upstream server.  Leafnode automatically determines which
groups to download by looking at the groups you read.  (More detail:
it gets a list of all available groups, when you enter a group it
shows you a dummy article and remembers to download that group the
next time the fetch program is run.  When nobody has read group X for
N days, it will not be downloaded from the server any longer.)

But, Gnus is an offline reader itself!  The key words to search for in
the documentation are `agent' and `unplugged'.  I use this myself, and
it works quite nicely.  Took me some time to find out how to download
exactly those articles I wanted, but now it just works.  There's a
function for batch-mode downloading of stuff, along the lines of
``emacs -batch -f gnus-agent-batch'' or something.

kai
--
OOP: object oriented programming;  OOPS: object oriented mistakes

* Re: batch downloading from remote server w/o local NNTP server?
@ 1998-10-08 15:57 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-10-08 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jochen_Hayek@ACM.org writes:

> Well I use the `suck' package
> to download news server batch files,
> split the news messages into the ~/incoming directory
> (somehow like procmail) (-> that's another one of my small python utilities),
> and read them using regular nnfolders.
>
> For posting I use a mail2news gateway.

How is the mail2news part setup, or do you mean a server on the internet?

--
Harry Putnam reader@newsguy.com
Running Redhat Linux-5.1

* Re: batch downloading from remote server w/o local NNTP server?
@ 1998-10-08 17:39   ` Jochen_Hayek
From: Jochen_Hayek @ 1998-10-08 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

    HP> How is the mail2news part setup, or do you mean a server on the internet?

See the Gnus manual on `Mail-To-News Gateways'.
.