* Posting to foreign news groups
@ 1996-11-25 21:24 Sten Drescher
From: Sten Drescher @ 1996-11-25 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

	Is there a way to get Gnus to automatically use a foreign news
server when you are posting to a foreign news group?  It's annoying
when I'm in a group that has a foreign nntp method, but it thinks that
it should post to the native nntp server.  If my native nntp server
had the group, I'd be reading it from there. (;

--
+----------------------  Tivoli Customer Support  ----------------------+
|   Sten Drescher                     Tivoli Systems, Inc               |

* Re: Posting to foreign news groups
@ 1996-11-25 23:02 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1996-11-25 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sten Drescher <sten.drescher@tivoli.com> writes:
> Is there a way to get Gnus to automatically use a foreign news
> server when you are posting to a foreign news group?

C-u C-c C-c

* Re: Posting to foreign news groups
@ 1996-11-26  0:22   ` Sten Drescher
From: Sten Drescher @ 1996-11-26  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

KK> Sten Drescher <sten.drescher@tivoli.com> writes:
>> Is there a way to get Gnus to automatically use a foreign news
>> server when you are posting to a foreign news group?

KK> C-u C-c C-c

	That's not automatic. (;  IMNSHO, C-c C-c should post to the
server the group is being read from, and C-u should be reserved for
when you want to do something other than post to the current server.

--
+----------------------  Tivoli Customer Support  ----------------------+
|   Sten Drescher                     Tivoli Systems, Inc               |
|   email: sten.drescher@tivoli.com   9442 Capital of Texas Hwy North   |
|   phone: (512) 794-9070             Arboretum Plaza One, Suite 500    |
|   fax  : (512) 345-2784             Austin, Texas 78759               |

* Re: Posting to foreign news groups
@ 1996-11-26 14:27     ` Rich Pieri
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Rich Pieri @ 1996-11-26 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@prescienttech.com> | Make your mark in the world, or at
      Prescient Technologies, Inc.        | least spray in each corner.

* Re: Posting to foreign news groups
@ 1996-11-26 15:38       ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1996-11-26 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@PrescientTech.com> writes:
> And which server should Gnus post to if you are reading an nnvirtual
> group which is comprised of six newsgroups spread over three different
> news servers?

Why, the right one, of course! ;-)

nnvirtual groups are special that way.  If it uses more than one server,
let it ask the user what server he wants to post to, or let him set a
default.  The C-u C-c C-c stuff _isn't_ terribly elegant.
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen                   <URL:http://www.daimi.aau.dk/~gnort/>

* Re: Posting to foreign news groups
@ 1996-11-26 15:51       ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-11-26 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@PrescientTech.com> writes:

> And which server should Gnus post to if you are reading an nnvirtual
> group which is comprised of six newsgroups spread over three different
> news servers?

How about this rule:  Use the current server to post if it can,
otherwise use the native server.

* Re: Posting to foreign news groups
@ 1996-11-26 17:15         ` Sudish Joseph
From: Sudish Joseph @ 1996-11-26 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:
> How about this rule:  Use the current server to post if it can,
> otherwise use the native server.

This used to be the way that gnus-post-method worked in ding.  I think
it should be the way it works in rgnus as well.  I wouldn't use a
foreign server if a group was accessible on my native server.  Which
means that I _always_ have to remember to C-u C-c C-c for foreign
groups.  Highly annoying.

Lars, can we change this back to the way it used to be?  I forget the
reason(s) why this was changed.

Also, the bogus message about "posting to this unknown group" is
probably caused by this weird default.  I dunno, but it should go,
IMO.

I don't use nnvirtual anymore, so I don't care about the behaviour
there.

-Sudish

* Re: Posting to foreign news groups
@ 1996-11-26 19:41           ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 1996-11-26 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: The Ding List

Sudish> Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:
>> How about this rule: Use the current server to post if it can,
>> otherwise use the native server.

Sudish> This used to be the way that gnus-post-method worked in ding.
Sudish> I think it should be the way it works in rgnus as well.  I
Sudish> wouldn't use a foreign server if a group was accessible on my
Sudish> native server.  Which means that I _always_ have to remember
Sudish> to C-u C-c C-c for foreign groups.  Highly annoying.

Eh, and what happens for people (like me incidentally :-) who use an
alternate gnus-post-method ?

What I've got currently in my .gnus.el is:

(setq gnus-post-method '(nntp "news.enst.fr"))

because the "news.enst.fr" server doesn't work well, so I use it to
post only and read my news from "news.ext.jussieu.fr" which is
read-only.

If "C-c C-c" posts to the current server, then it defeats the purpose
of this variable!

  Sam
--
"La cervelle des petits enfants, ca doit avoir comme un petit gout de noisette"
                                                       Charles Baudelaire

* Re: Posting to foreign news groups
@ 1996-11-26 20:16             ` Sudish Joseph
From: Sudish Joseph @ 1996-11-26 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <qw67mn8wsmx.fsf@esmeralda.enst.fr>,
Samuel Tardieu <sam@inf.enst.fr> writes:
> Eh, and what happens for people (like me incidentally :-) who use an
> alternate gnus-post-method ?

> If "C-c C-c" posts to the current server, then it defeats the purpose
> of this variable!

I added that variable way back (around ding-0.10) or so because I had
precisely the same problem as you: the better server was the one I
didn't have posting perms to.  :)

This is how I'd like C-c C-c to work in nntp groups and how it worked
in early ding (pseudo-something follows):

(post-to
 (if (foreign-group-p)     ;; (or (and ...) ... ...) if you prefer obscurity
     (current-select-method)
   (or gnus-post-method
       primary-select-method)))

Gnus has all the context information necessary to DWIM, why should I
need to tell it what to do?

-Sudish

* Re: Posting to foreign news groups
@ 1996-11-26 20:26       ` Sten Drescher
From: Sten Drescher @ 1996-11-26 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

RP> And which server should Gnus post to if you are reading an
RP> nnvirtual group which is comprised of six newsgroups spread over
RP> three different news servers?

	If you're following up to an article, to the one that the
article came from.  If you are posting a new article, clearly there
will have to be one that has precedence.

--

@ 1996-11-26 23:38   ` Paul Franklin
From: Paul Franklin @ 1996-11-26 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > Sten Drescher <sten.drescher@tivoli.com> writes:
 >> Is there a way to get Gnus to automatically use a foreign news
 >> server when you are posting to a foreign news group?

 > C-u C-c C-c

(defadvice message-send (before pdf-gnus activate)
  "Reverse meaning of prefix, so default is to post to server being read from."
  (ad-set-arg 0 (not (ad-get-arg 0))))

Of course, you have to turn advice on (it's the first thing in my
..emacs) for this to work.

(setq ad-activate-on-definition t)
(ad-start-advice)

--Paul