* M-m clobbers standard keybinding in message mode
@ 2000-12-11 20:44 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-12-11 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Erik Naggum

Erik complains that the new Gnus clobbers the standard M-m keybinding
in message-mode.

How about using `C-c C-m' instead, which appears to be still free?

M-m is nice because it is so short and mnemonic, but it might alienate
long-time Emacs users (like Erik).

kai
--
The arms should be held in a natural and unaffected way and never
be conspicuous. -- Revised Technique of Latin American Dancing

* Re: M-m clobbers standard keybinding in message mode
@ 2000-12-11 20:55 ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 2000-12-11 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> M-m is nice because it is so short and mnemonic, but it might alienate
> long-time Emacs users (like Erik).

Actually, it's been annoying me, too.  I use M-m a lot outside of
message-mode, and it has been annoying me to lose it.

Do unto others before they undo you.

* Re: M-m clobbers standard keybinding in message mode
@ 2000-12-13  8:23 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2000-12-13  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> How about using `C-c C-m' instead, which appears to be still free?

I think it is a good idea, major modes should not overwrite relevant
global bindings with something unrelated.

I'll change it in CVS unless someone protest.

* Re: M-m clobbers standard keybinding in message mode
@ 2000-12-13  8:47   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-12-13  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 13 Dec 2000, Per Abrahamsen wrote:
> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> How about using `C-c C-m' instead, which appears to be still free?
>
> I think it is a good idea, major modes should not overwrite relevant
> global bindings with something unrelated.
>
> I'll change it in CVS unless someone protest.

I think that's a good idea.  What about Gnus 5.9, though?  OT1H, Emacs
is in pretest already, so we shouldn't change things.  OTOH, using M-m
is not a good thing.  Hm.  I guess that Dave can decide whether he
wants that change in 5.9...

kai
--

@ 2000-12-13  8:53     ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2000-12-13  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I guess that Dave can decide whether he wants that change in 5.9...

Yep.

* MML rebound from `M-m' to `C-c C-m' in CVS
@ 2000-12-19 10:09   ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2000-12-19 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> I'll change it in CVS unless someone protest.

Nobody did protest, so I changed the binding.

`M-m' is the standard binding for `back-to-indentation', a command
that is useful in all text editing modes, including message mode.