* A small, but useful patch!
@ 1996-11-27 15:57 Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1996-11-27 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

The problem with message-indent-citation is that it adds the
message-yank-prefix even to empty lines, or to lines consisting of
white-space only, so that commands like M-{ and M-} (or M-up and
M-down for X-oriented types) don't work on quoted text.  This patchlet
will take care of that:

*** message.el.orig     Wed Nov 27 16:49:41 1996
--- message.el  Wed Nov 27 16:54:27 1996
***************
*** 1348,1354 ****
        (save-excursion
        (goto-char start)
        (while (< (point) (mark t))
!         (insert message-yank-prefix)
          (forward-line 1)))
        (goto-char start))))

--- 1348,1355 ----
        (save-excursion
        (goto-char start)
        (while (< (point) (mark t))
!           (unless (looking-at "\\s-*$")
!             (insert message-yank-prefix))
          (forward-line 1)))
        (goto-char start))))

After that, everything works beautifully!

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Hocemo 101-icu!
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: A small, but useful patch!
@ 1996-11-27 16:45 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-11-27 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> The problem with message-indent-citation is that it adds the
> message-yank-prefix even to empty lines, or to lines consisting of
> white-space only, [ ... ]

SOR> [ ... ] It is common to quote some of
SOR> the previous article to establish context.  This  SHOULD  be
SOR> done  by  prefacing  each  quoted line (even if it is empty)
SOR> with the character ">".  This will result in multiple levels
SOR> of ">" when quoted context itself contains quoted context.
SOR>
SOR> 	  NOTE:  It  may seem superfluous to put a prefix on
SOR> 	  empty lines, but it simplifies  implementation  of
SOR> 	  functions  such as "skip all quoted text" in read-
SOR> 	  ing agents.
SOR>

> [ ... ], so that commands like M-{ and M-} (or M-up and
> M-down for X-oriented types) don't work on quoted text.  This patchlet

This should be solved by redefining `paragraph-start' and
`paragraph-separate'.

* Re: A small, but useful patch!
@ 1996-11-27 18:39   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1996-11-27 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Per Abrahamsen (abraham@dina.kvl.dk) wrote:
> SOR> 	  NOTE:  It  may seem superfluous to put a prefix on
> SOR> 	  empty lines, but it simplifies  implementation  of
> SOR> 	  functions  such as "skip all quoted text" in read-
> SOR> 	  ing agents.

If this is the only reason for such behavior, we can safely ignore it,
since Gnus is perfectly capable of skipping all quoted text (the point
is set up conveniently).

> > [ ... ], so that commands like M-{ and M-} (or M-up and
> > M-down for X-oriented types) don't work on quoted text.  This patchlet

> This should be solved by redefining `paragraph-start' and
> `paragraph-separate'.

Can you please post a patch that does it?  BTW, will it also affect
M-h and such?

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Hocemo 101-icu!
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
If a President doesn't do it to his wife, he'll do it to his country.

* Re: A small, but useful patch!
@ 1996-11-27 18:51     ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-11-27 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> Per Abrahamsen (abraham@dina.kvl.dk) wrote:
> > SOR> 	  NOTE:  It  may seem superfluous to put a prefix on
> > SOR> 	  empty lines, but it simplifies  implementation  of
> > SOR> 	  functions  such as "skip all quoted text" in read-
> > SOR> 	  ing agents.
>
> If this is the only reason for such behavior, we can safely ignore it,
> since Gnus is perfectly capable of skipping all quoted text (the point
> is set up conveniently).

The quote is: ``in *reading* agents''.  I don't think we yet can
assume that everybody are using Gnus to read the messages.

> Can you please post a patch that does it?  BTW, will it also affect
> M-h and such?

No, and yes.

* Re: A small, but useful patch!
@ 1996-11-28  9:19       ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1996-11-28  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Per Abrahamsen (abraham@dina.kvl.dk) wrote:
> Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
> >
> > If this is the only reason for such behavior, we can safely ignore it,
> > since Gnus is perfectly capable of skipping all quoted text (the point
> > is set up conveniently).
> The quote is: ``in *reading* agents''.  I don't think we yet can
> assume that everybody are using Gnus to read the messages.

Why not?  The person who uses 'message-indent-citation probably also
uses message, i.e. Gnus.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Hocemo 101-icu!
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
`VI' - An editor used by those heretics that don't subscribe to
       the Emacs religion.

* Re: A small, but useful patch!
@ 1996-11-28  9:47         ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-11-28  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Per Abrahamsen, ding

  Per> The quote is: ``in *reading* agents''.  I don't think we yet
  Per> can assume that everybody are using Gnus to read the messages.

  Hrvoje> Why not?  The person who uses 'message-indent-citation
  Hrvoje> probably also uses message, i.e. Gnus.

You use Gnus.  You write a message using 'message-indent-citation.
You send the message to John Smith.  In what way can you deduce from
this that John Smith uses Gnus, too?  The idea is that *his* reader
can easily skip quoted text.

kai
--
I wonder why nobody don't like me,
or is it de fact dat I'm ugly? -- Harry Belafonte

* Re: A small, but useful patch!
@ 1996-11-28  9:53           ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1996-11-28  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hrvoje Niksic, Per Abrahamsen, ding

Kai Grossjohann (grossjohann@charly.informatik.uni-dortmund.de) wrote:
>   Hrvoje> Why not?  The person who uses 'message-indent-citation
>   Hrvoje> probably also uses message, i.e. Gnus.
> You use Gnus.  You write a message using 'message-indent-citation.
> You send the message to John Smith.  In what way can you deduce from
> this that John Smith uses Gnus, too?  The idea is that *his* reader
> can easily skip quoted text.

Well, his reader will quote *my* text (the citation and everything)
any way John Smith likes, won't it?

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Hocemo 101-icu!
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
I'm a Lisp variable -- bind me!

* Re: A small, but useful patch!
@ 1996-11-28 10:00             ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-11-28 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kai Grossjohann, Per Abrahamsen, ding

  Kai> You use Gnus.  You write a message using
  Kai> 'message-indent-citation.  You send the message to John Smith.
  Kai> In what way can you deduce from this that John Smith uses Gnus,
  Kai> too?  The idea is that *his* reader can easily skip quoted
  Kai> text.

  Hrvoje> Well, his reader will quote *my* text (the citation and
  Hrvoje> everything) any way John Smith likes, won't it?

But not the message that you send to him.  The point is that his
reader might want to skip over cited text for message send to him, not
originating from him.

kai
--

@ 1996-11-28 22:28 St. Suika Fenderson Roberts
From: St. Suika Fenderson Roberts @ 1996-11-28 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Wrote:

>   Per> The quote is: ``in *reading* agents''.  I don't think we yet
>   Per> can assume that everybody are using Gnus to read the messages.

>   Hrvoje> Why not?  The person who uses 'message-indent-citation
>   Hrvoje> probably also uses message, i.e. Gnus.

> You use Gnus.  You write a message using 'message-indent-citation.
> You send the message to John Smith.  In what way can you deduce from
> this that John Smith uses Gnus, too?  The idea is that *his* reader
> can easily skip quoted text.

The only real problem I see here is that _no_ mail/news reader that I
know of has such a function.  This, to my POV, renders quote-prefixing
blank lines rather pointless.  Besides which, the SOR states one should
use `>' instead of indentation to mark cited text . . .

ja ne,
	Suika (being heretical.  BSD mail and vim ^_^ features or speed ^^; )
--
	  	<wrobert2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu>
Zou-Morrigu, goddess of elephant war.  Yeah, yeah, it's cheesy.  But