* Ghost drafts
@ 2001-10-02 15:11 Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2001-10-02 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bugs

Oort Gnus v0.04
GNU Emacs 21.0.106.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit)

Whenever I start Gnus, the nndraft:drafts group list 22 messages in
the *Groups* buffer.  If I type 'G E' on the group I get this

("nndraft:drafts" 1 nil nil
 (nndraft "")
 ((gnus-dummy
   (gnus-draft-mode))))

If I try to enter the group, nothing happens except that the *Groups*
buffer get updated to show 0 messages.  If I then try 'G E' I get this

("nndraft:drafts" 1
 ((1 . 22))
 nil
 (nndraft "")
 ((gnus-dummy
   (gnus-draft-mode))))

Pressing 'M-g' shanges the number back to 22.  Entering it changes it
back to zero.

The 'News/drafts/drafts' directory is empty, except for this message
that has number one.  If I press 'C-c C-d' (message-dont-send), I
cannot find the message again through the draft group.  Only the 22
ghosts are there.

I really can't find the source of the ghosts drafts, can anyone help
me?  I used the draft feature a lot, back when it worked.

* Re: Ghost drafts
@ 2001-10-02 15:56 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-10-02 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

[...]

> The 'News/drafts/drafts' directory is empty, except for this message
> that has number one.  If I press 'C-c C-d' (message-dont-send), I
> cannot find the message again through the draft group.  Only the 22
> ghosts are there.
>
> I really can't find the source of the ghosts drafts, can anyone help
> me?  I used the draft feature a lot, back when it worked.

Does restarting Gnus help?  If not, cache and agent are the possible
place where ghosts live. Had you accidentally put article 22 into the
cache or agent directory?

ShengHuo

* Re: Ghost drafts
@ 2001-10-02 16:11   ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2001-10-02 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Does restarting Gnus help?

No, the problem is rather persistent.  It has been there for months,
and for several versions of Gnus, and with both Emacs 20 and 21.

> If not, cache and agent are the possible place where ghosts
> live. Had you accidentally put article 22 into the cache or agent
> directory?

I could find "agent" or "nnagent" directories.

I did find a "~/News/cache/nndraft/" directory, but that is empty.

Nothing under "¨/Mail/".

There isn't some kind of "active" file for nndraft where the bogus
numbers can occur?

* Re: Ghost drafts
@ 2001-10-02 16:49     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-10-02 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>
>> Does restarting Gnus help?
>
> No, the problem is rather persistent.  It has been there for months,
> and for several versions of Gnus, and with both Emacs 20 and 21.
>
>> If not, cache and agent are the possible place where ghosts
>> live. Had you accidentally put article 22 into the cache or agent
>> directory?
>
> I could find "agent" or "nnagent" directories.
>
> I did find a "~/News/cache/nndraft/" directory, but that is empty.
>
> Nothing under "¨/Mail/".
>
> There isn't some kind of "active" file for nndraft where the bogus
> numbers can occur?

Removing the nndraft line in ~/News/cache/active could probably fix
the problem.

ShengHuo

* Re: Ghost drafts
@ 2001-10-02 17:30       ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2001-10-02 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Removing the nndraft line in ~/News/cache/active could probably fix
> the problem.

Yes!  That busted the ghosts!  Thanks!