* group local parameters and bbdb/news-auto-create-p
@ 2002-04-18 10:35 Jani Grönberg
From: Jani Grönberg @ 2002-04-18 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a problem with bbdb's automatic creation of records. I want
bbdb to create entries of the senders of a specific mail group (and no
other). The documentation suggests setting the variable
bbdb/news-auto-create-p using gnus-select-group-hook, but I had some
problems with that and thought that using group parameters should do
the same thing more intuitively (at least for me).

This setup works, sort of, except that sometimes bbdb gets wild and
wants to create a record for every message I read in any newsgroup. I
have checked the value of bbdb/news-auto-create-p (and
bbdb/mail-auto-create-p) and they remain set to nil. However, bbdb
does not honor them but creates the records anyway, and manually
(re)setting them to nil doesn't help either. In the mail group, the
variable is correctly set to "t".

I cannot consistently reproduce this behaviour across Gnus versions,
but currently it seems that if the first group I enter after starting
Gnus is the mail group, bbdb starts doing this and the only way to
stop it is to restart Gnus and enter some news group first (visiting
the mail group afterwards doesn't turn it on).

This is not a major problem for me, as I have learned to mostly work
around it, but I thought I'd ask for suggestions anyway, since the
frequence of this occuring seems to have increased with recent
versions of Oort Gnus. I am using Xemacs 21.4 and a recent (this week)
CVS version of gnus.

//jani

* Re: group local parameters and bbdb/news-auto-create-p
@ 2002-04-18 15:57 ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2002-04-18 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Thu Apr 18 2002 at 05:35, chardhros@spamtrap.oneccuva.org (Jani Grönberg) said:

> I have a problem with bbdb's automatic creation of records.

[...]

> This is not a major problem for me, as I have learned to mostly work
> around it, but I thought I'd ask for suggestions anyway, since the
> frequence of this occuring seems to have increased with recent
> versions of Oort Gnus. I am using Xemacs 21.4 and a recent (this
> week) CVS version of gnus.

This works for me:

(defun my-add-bbdb-entries ()
  "Add people to bbdb when in certain groups."
  (cond ((string-match
	  (regexp-opt '(
			"homeschool" "personal" "gnus" "emacs" "wri"
			"bookpeople" "searoom" "explorator"
			"PalestineDiary" "ILHSannounce"
			) t) gnus-newsgroup-name)
	 (setq bbdb/news-auto-create-p t))
	(t
	 (setq bbdb/news-auto-create-p nil))))

(add-hook 'gnus-select-group-hook 'my-add-bbdb-entries)

As I find new groups with addresses I want to have in my .bbdb, I add
an identifying string to the regexp-opt argument and re-evaluate the
expression.

I'm not sure whether this depends on other parts of my bbdb setup...

Cheers -

bw
--
Bill White . billw@wolfram.com . http://members.wri.com/billw