* problem with fix-transposed-characters/sig-quote/gnus
@ 2000-02-11 20:55 Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2000-02-11 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hi John -

Just a note to let you know of a potential problem (and solution) when
fix-transpose-characters mixes with packages that parse email headers.

I found a problem sending mail to local folks with gnus when using
your fix-transpose-characters and Trey Jackson's sig-quote mode. When
my To: line looks like this

To: Ryan Tokarek <tokarek>

it's changed to this just before it's mailed:

To: Ryan Tokarek <tokare>k

Trey's package parses the headers using functions in sendmail.el,
including, in this case, 'mail-to', which executes (expand-abbrev):

,----
| (defun mail-to ()
|   "Move point to end of To-field."
|   (interactive)
|   (expand-abbrev)
|   (mail-position-on-field "To"))
`----

Since I'm using fix-transpose-characters by hooking into abbrev:

,----
| (add-hook 'pre-abbrev-expand-hook 'fix-transposed-characters)
`----

that makes mail-to run fix-transpose-characters with point at the end
of the To: line. That winds up changing <tokarek> to <tokare>k.

I'm getting around the problem with this advice in my .gnus:

(defadvice message-send-and-exit (around transpose-toggle activate compile)
  "Turn off John Wiegley's fix-transposed-characters when sending mail."
  (remove-hook 'pre-abbrev-expand-hook 'fix-transposed-characters)
  ad-do-it
  (add-hook 'pre-abbrev-expand-hook 'fix-transposed-characters))

In other news, eshell is a heck of a lot of fun. Thanks!

Take care -

bw
--
Bill White . billw@wolfram.com . http://members.wri.com/billw
"No ma'am, we're musicians."

only message in thread, other threads:[~2000-02-11 20:55 UTC | newest]