* Aargh!  Netscape mail reader creates .newsrc-foo
@ 1997-11-20  9:12 Hrvoje Niksic
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-11-20  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Every time I accidentally start up the netscape news/mail reader
(e.g. by inadvertently clicking on a mailto: URL), it creates a
`.newsrc-bagan.srce.hr' file in my home directory, `bagan.srce.hr'
being my news server.

This always f*ks up Gnus, which thinks this file should take
precedence over my normal `.newsrc.eld' (I don't save normal `.newsrc'
at all.)  This is highly annoying, because when I startup Gnus next
time, I get an ugly buffer with no topics and no group levels, and I
think of a catastrophe every time.

Can this somehow be turned off?  Couldn't Gnus be made to ignore
`.newsrc-foo' files?

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: Aargh!  Netscape mail reader creates .newsrc-foo
@ 1997-11-20 11:10 ` Andy Eskilsson
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1997-11-20 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the preferences you can tell Nets^H^H^H^HMozilla to save the news
stuff somewhere else, for example ~/.netscape/, can be found somewhere
like preferences->Mail and News->Groups Server, discussion groups
(news) directory.

	/andy

* Re: Aargh!  Netscape mail reader creates .newsrc-foo
@ 1997-11-20 11:18 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-11-20 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Hrvoje> Every time I accidentally start up the netscape news/mail
  Hrvoje> reader (e.g. by inadvertently clicking on a mailto: URL), it
  Hrvoje> creates a `.newsrc-bagan.srce.hr' file in my home directory,
  Hrvoje> `bagan.srce.hr' being my news server.

Why don't you just rename all .newsrc* files to
.newsrc-bagan.srce.hr*?  Gnus will read them, Netscape won't create a
new one, Bob's your uncle.  No?

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: Aargh!  Netscape mail reader creates .newsrc-foo
@ 1997-11-20 11:23   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-11-20 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

>   Hrvoje> Every time I accidentally start up the netscape news/mail
>   Hrvoje> reader (e.g. by inadvertently clicking on a mailto: URL), it
>   Hrvoje> creates a `.newsrc-bagan.srce.hr' file in my home directory,
>   Hrvoje> `bagan.srce.hr' being my news server.
>
> Why don't you just rename all .newsrc* files to
> .newsrc-bagan.srce.hr*?  Gnus will read them, Netscape won't create a
> new one, Bob's your uncle.  No?

No.  I *want* my `.newsrc.eld' to be called just that.  There are
host aliases like `news.carnet.hr', etc.  I want to just use the
standard name, without the extension.

The named extension is stupid anyway, as my .newsrc.eld contains a
bunch of mail and foreign groups.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
"A Real Programmer's code can awe with its fiendish brilliance, even
as its crockishness appalls."

* Re: Aargh!  Netscape mail reader creates .newsrc-foo
@ 1997-11-20 14:12 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1997-11-20 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
> Can this somehow be turned off?  Couldn't Gnus be made to ignore
> `.newsrc-foo' files?

(setq gnus-startup-file "~/Mail/.private/.newsrc")

Generally, bury everything (such as nnmail's ID cache) in such a
directory.  Then you don't have random folks snooping around in
.newsrc* to learn your reading habits, either.

$ chmod 700 ~/Mail/.private # for normal UNIXish filesystems, or
$ fs sa ~/Mail/.private -clear YourID rlidwka # for $HOMEs in AFS.

* Re: Aargh!  Netscape mail reader creates .newsrc-foo
@ 1997-11-20 15:35   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-11-20 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@jprc.com> writes:

> Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
> > Can this somehow be turned off?  Couldn't Gnus be made to ignore
> > `.newsrc-foo' files?
>
> (setq gnus-startup-file "~/Mail/.private/.newsrc")
>
> Generally, bury everything (such as nnmail's ID cache) in such a
> directory.  Then you don't have random folks snooping around in
> .newsrc* to learn your reading habits, either.

Cool, thanks for the tip.  I don't mind anyone finding my dark
news/mail-reading secrets, but I *do* mind being thrown into a
topic-less Group buffer!  :-)

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
Thou Who might be our Father Who perhaps may be in Heaven...
                                                -- Roger Zelazny

* Re: Aargh!  Netscape mail reader creates .newsrc-foo
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-11-24 21:06 ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 1997-11-24 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Hrvoje> Every time I accidentally start up the netscape news/mail reader
 Hrvoje> (e.g. by inadvertently clicking on a mailto: URL),

FWIW you can use a suitable alist for browse-url-browser-function to
DTRT.