* access things like slashdot only at specified times?
@ 2000-02-09 23:27 John H. Palmieri
From: John H. Palmieri @ 2000-02-09 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gnus v5.8.3

GNU Emacs 20.4.2 (alphaev5-dec-osf4.0f, X toolkit) of Mon Oct 11 1999
on hilbert1

I would like gnus to do the following: when getting new news between
say 10:00 in the morning and 5:00 in the afternoon, I don't want gnus
to check slashdot.  So I guess I want the entry

  '(nnslashdot "")

in gnus-secondary-select-methods to be time-dependent.  As an
alternative, I wouldn't mind if gnus only checked nnslashdot once a
day.  I want the same to happen with one of my mail sources (a pop
server that is down a lot and that I don't get a lot of mail from, so
I would be happy to just check it once a day).

Has anyone done anything like this already?

--
John H. Palmieri
Dept of Mathematics, Box 354350    palmieri@math.washington.edu

* Re: access things like slashdot only at specified times?
@ 2000-02-09 23:51 ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 2000-02-09 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

John> Gnus v5.8.3
John> GNU Emacs 20.4.2 (alphaev5-dec-osf4.0f, X toolkit) of Mon Oct 11 1999
John> on hilbert1

John> I would like gnus to do the following: when getting new news between
John> say 10:00 in the morning and 5:00 in the afternoon, I don't want gnus
John> to check slashdot.  So I guess I want the entry

John>   '(nnslashdot "")

John> in gnus-secondary-select-methods to be time-dependent.  As an
John> alternative, I wouldn't mind if gnus only checked nnslashdot once a
John> day.  I want the same to happen with one of my mail sources (a pop
John> server that is down a lot and that I don't get a lot of mail from, so
John> I would be happy to just check it once a day).

John> Has anyone done anything like this already?

You can use agent to cover nnslashdot, put `:plugged t' in those mail
sources which need to be checked regularly and set
gnus-agent-send-mail-function to message-send-mail-with-sendmail.

Between 10AM to 5PM, you can run gnus unplugged. Otherwise, plug it.

--
Shenghuo

* Re: access things like slashdot only at specified times?
@ 2000-02-10  2:12   ` Doug Bagley
From: Doug Bagley @ 2000-02-10  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
> John> in gnus-secondary-select-methods to be time-dependent.  As an
> John> alternative, I wouldn't mind if gnus only checked nnslashdot once a
> John> day.  I want the same to happen with one of my mail sources (a pop
> John> server that is down a lot and that I don't get a lot of mail from, so
> John> I would be happy to just check it once a day).
>
> John> Has anyone done anything like this already?
>
> You can use agent to cover nnslashdot, put `:plugged t' in those mail
> sources which need to be checked regularly and set
> gnus-agent-send-mail-function to message-send-mail-with-sendmail.
>
> Between 10AM to 5PM, you can run gnus unplugged. Otherwise, plug it.

I have a different approach.  I only want nnslashdot to update when I
want to read it.  Normally, when I press "g", I want everything but
slashdot to update.

So here's what I did:

Instead of the recommended:

     (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
           '((nnslashdot "")))

I did this:
- created a Slashdot topic
- customized the topic to subscribe to groups with nnslashdot in the name
- created the following lisp for my gnus:

(define-key gnus-group-mode-map "\M-s" 'kof:gnus-update-slashdot)
(defun kof:gnus-update-slashdot ()
  (interactive)
  (let* ((gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnslashdot ""))))
    (gnus-group-get-new-news)
    (gnus-group-find-new-groups)))

Now, in the Group buffer, I just press M-s to update the slashdot
groups if I feel like reading slashdot (ain't all that often
sometimes).

Cheers,
Doug

* Re: access things like slashdot only at specified times?
@ 2000-02-15 22:00     ` John H. Palmieri
From: John H. Palmieri @ 2000-02-15 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Doug,

Thanks, I like your solution.  I've implemented (a slight variant of)
it, and it works just the way I want.

Doug Bagley <doug@deja.com> writes:

> Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
> > John> in gnus-secondary-select-methods to be time-dependent.  As an
> > John> alternative, I wouldn't mind if gnus only checked nnslashdot once a
> > John> day.  I want the same to happen with one of my mail sources (a pop
> > John> server that is down a lot and that I don't get a lot of mail from, so
> > John> I would be happy to just check it once a day).
> >
> > John> Has anyone done anything like this already?

 [snip]