* gnus, w3, and line spacing
@ 2001-09-26 21:19 dnc
From: dnc @ 2001-09-26 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

This may be more of a w3 question than a gnus question, so I beg your
pardon if I'm asking the wrong people.

I use gnus and nnimap to read mail.  Frequently, some fool sends me mail in
html (and not plain text).  These fools are usually trying to sell me
something.  Sometimes (but not always) w3 displays these messages with
extra space between each line.  It looks like there's a blank line
between each line of text.  But there are no blank lines.  If I put my
cursor over the text, the cursor is very large, covering both the
letters, and the blank space below them.  Hopefully its clear what I'm
trying to describe.  There's got to be a word for it, maybe "line
spacing".  Maybe w3 is asking for a taller font, but I don't have one
available.

But the real problem is that this setting affects all my buffers.
That is, all text shown in my emacs is now "double spaced".  So I can
only view half the normal amount of text on my monitor.  Not only
that, but the emacs window actually grows to display the same number
of lines.  So the bottom of my emacs shoots way below the bottom of
what I can see on my screen.

I end up resizing my emacs to fit the monitor.  Saving my work and
killing emacs, then restarting it.  I haven't figured out how to
return the line spacing to normal any other way.

I'd appreciate any help.  Specifically, how do I return the line
spacing to normal?  And, how can I prevent w3 from ever doing this?

Thanks in advance,

-Dave

Version info:

OS - windows 2000
emacs - GNU Emacs 20.7.1 (i386-*-nt5.0.2195) of Tue Jun 13 2000 on buffy
gnus - Oort Gnus v0.03
w3 - WWW 4.0pre.46, URL p4.0pre.46, MM 1.96

* Re: gnus, w3, and line spacing
@ 2001-09-26 21:42 ` Nevin Kapur
From: Nevin Kapur @ 2001-09-26 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

dnc@bigfoot.com writes:

[...]

> And, how can I prevent w3 from ever doing this?

I keep w3 on a very strict leash using the following in my .emacs.
These are stolen from some Usenet posting.

(setq
 w3-user-fonts-take-precedence t
 w3-user-colors-take-precedence t
 w3-honor-stylesheets nil
 w3-use-terminal-characters nil
 w3-use-terminal-characters-on-tty nil
 w3-horizontal-rule-char 45
 w3-display-frames nil
 url-be-asynchronous t
 w3-do-incremental-display t
 url-honor-refresh-requests nil
 w3-delay-image-loads t)

These settings are remarkably effective.

-Nevin

* Re: gnus, w3, and line spacing
@ 2001-09-26 21:57 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-09-26 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

dnc@bigfoot.com writes:

> I use gnus and nnimap to read mail.  Frequently, some fool sends me
> mail in html (and not plain text).  These fools are usually trying
> to sell me something.  Sometimes (but not always) w3 displays these
> messages with extra space between each line.

I've seen and heard about this before.  It seems to go away if you
chose the right font.  But I'm sure Nevin's suggestion is the better
one.

kai
--
Abort this operation?   [OK]  [Cancel]

* Re: gnus, w3, and line spacing
@ 2001-10-03 12:35   ` Toby Speight
From: Toby Speight @ 2001-10-03 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

0> In article <m34rppmxx0.fsf@bombay.dyndns.org>,
0> Nevin Kapur <URL:mailto:nevin@jhu.edu> ("Nevin") wrote:

Nevin> I keep w3 on a very strict leash using the following in my .emacs.
Nevin> These are stolen from some Usenet posting.
Nevin>
Nevin> (setq
Nevin>  w3-user-fonts-take-precedence t
Nevin>  w3-user-colors-take-precedence t
Nevin>  w3-honor-stylesheets nil
Nevin>  w3-use-terminal-characters nil
Nevin>  w3-use-terminal-characters-on-tty nil
Nevin>  w3-horizontal-rule-char 45
Nevin>  w3-display-frames nil
Nevin>  url-be-asynchronous t
Nevin>  w3-do-incremental-display t
Nevin>  url-honor-refresh-requests nil
Nevin>  w3-delay-image-loads t)
Nevin>
Nevin> These settings are remarkably effective.

If you do still end up with the double-height fonts (I haven't for a
few years now), you can repair the damage with:

(defun fix-w3-fonts nil
  "Restore faces created by W3 so that they're all the same size.
This assumes that the standard faces `default', `italic', `bold',
and `bold-italic' are sensibly defined."
  (interactive)
  (mapatoms
   (lambda (x)
     (and (string-match "^w3-style-face" (symbol-name x))
          (facep x)
          (set-face-font x
                         (let ((font (face-font x)))
                           (and font