* setting browser url?
@ 2001-01-08  6:00 Nick Papadonis
From: Nick Papadonis @ 2001-01-08  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Looked through info and FAQs.

How do I set browse-url to a browser of my choice?
For instance, konqueror? :)

Thanks.

--
- Nick

* Re: setting browser url?
@ 2001-01-08  6:15 ` Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 2001-01-08  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Nick Papadonis <nick@coelacanth.com> writes:

Hi!

> How do I set browse-url to a browser of my choice?
> For instance, konqueror? :)

Does it work to

(setq browse-url-generic-program "konqueror"
      browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-generic)

If not, you'd have to define your own function and set
browse-url-browser-function to it.

norbert.
--
I feel better about world problems now!

* Re: setting browser url?
@ 2001-01-08 17:29 ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2001-01-08 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Nick> Looked through info and FAQs.
Nick> How do I set browse-url to a browser of my choice?
Nick> For instance, konqueror? :)

(setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-generic)
(setq browse-url-generic-program "kfmclient")
(setq browse-url-generic-args (list "exec"))

(klipper uses kfmclient and exec rather than running konqueror
directly.  I suspect this helps launch the right program immediately
(EG, a pdf viewer) instead of having to run konqueror first.
--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

* Re: setting browser url?
@ 2001-01-08 20:54   ` Nick Papadonis
From: Nick Papadonis @ 2001-01-08 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    > Nick Papadonis <nick@coelacanth.com> writes: Hi!

    >> How do I set browse-url to a browser of my choice?  For
    >> instance, konqueror? :)

    > Does it work to

    > (setq browse-url-generic-program "konqueror"
    > browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-generic)

    > If not, you'd have to define your own function and set
    > browse-url-browser-function to it.

    > norbert.  -- I feel better about world problems now!

Nope doesn't work.  Im no lisp expert, but I tried putting the above
in my .gnus and reloading.  I get 'Symbols Function definition is
void: browse-url-generic'.

I also try to eval the above in *scratch* and then eval the
variables.  Apparently they don't get set and are void.

My cvs version was from about 2 months ago.

Any ideas on this????

Thanks

BTW: Shouldn't this stuff be in the info page?

--
- Nick

* Re: setting browser url?
@ 2001-01-09  6:08     ` Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 2001-01-09  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Nick Papadonis <nick@coelacanth.com> writes:

Hi!

> Nope doesn't work.  Im no lisp expert, but I tried putting the above
> in my .gnus and reloading.  I get 'Symbols Function definition is
> void: browse-url-generic'.

Then you don't have browse-url loaded. Put

(require 'browse-url)

above the statements.

> BTW: Shouldn't this stuff be in the info page?

Fair enough question. Do you want to write a passage on it and submit
it?

norbert.

* Re: setting browser url?
@ 2001-01-09 13:49   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2001-01-09 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Nick Papadonis, ding

Norbert> (setq browse-url-generic-program "konqueror"
Norbert> browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-generic)

I just found that there is already a function handler for kde
specifically:

(setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-kfm)

--

@ 2001-01-09 20:50     ` Nick Papadonis
From: Nick Papadonis @ 2001-01-09 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    >> Nick Papadonis <nick@coelacanth.com> writes: Hi!

    >>> How do I set browse-url to a browser of my choice?  For
    >>> instance, konqueror? :)

    >> Does it work to

    >> (setq browse-url-generic-program "konqueror"
    >> browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-generic)

Thanks this works.  Actually when greping lisp files I found it configurable
from the menuitems in Xemacs. Oh well.

Only thing is, it launches a new konqueror process every time.  Maybe
it was written for KDE 1.x.  There must be a way to just send the URL
to the running konqueror process.

Thanks again.

* Re: setting browser url?
@ 2001-01-09 20:53       ` Nick Papadonis
From: Nick Papadonis @ 2001-01-09 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    > Nick Papadonis <nick@coelacanth.com> writes: Hi!
    >> Nope doesn't work.  Im no lisp expert, but I tried putting the
    >> above in my .gnus and reloading.  I get 'Symbols Function
    >> definition is void: browse-url-generic'.

    > Then you don't have browse-url loaded. Put

    > (require 'browse-url)
Did it.  Still doesn't work.  However,
(require 'browse-url)
(setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-kfm) works.

This is a problem with Xemacs, not gnus right?

    >> BTW: Shouldn't this stuff be in the info page?

    > Fair enough question. Do you want to write a passage on it and
    > submit it?
What package is this lack of information part of?  Xemacs or gnus?

Thanks norbert.

--
- Nick

* Re: setting browser url?
@ 2001-01-10  8:59         ` Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 2001-01-10  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Nick Papadonis <nick@coelacanth.com> writes:

Hi!

>> Fair enough question. Do you want to write a passage on it and
>> submit it?
> What package is this lack of information part of?  Xemacs or gnus?

I'd say, part of XEmacs.