From: Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net>
To: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
Cc: Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>,  ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: a Gnus biff
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 06:59:48 -0700	[thread overview]

TZ> 1) `g' in Gnus takes a loooong time (everything is fetched) so I only do
TZ> it every 1-2 hours, or when I leave for a few minutes.

I just switched IMAP servers to dovecot with maildir and checking for
new mail is now much much faster.  (now I have different issues, but
that's another story).

TZ> 2) I have an `i' alias that shows me what new messages have arrived
TZ> (it's a Perl script that speaks IMAP and Maildir).  It can even display
TZ> a particular message by number if I must see it right away.

I too have a script like that as well... It actually drives a desktop
superkaramab display that shows the to N incoming messages in various
folders so the list of incoming mail is always available to my eyes (and
I can call it from the command line if I'm ssh'ing in from somewhere
else).  It nicely summarizes all my mail in my important folders, which
I love.

The other option you didn't mention though is proper level setting.  Set
all your critical folders to priority 1, next to 2, ...  Then when you
need to check for critical mail do a '1 g' instead and that generally is
much faster.  My mailing list mail that I don't need to read on a
2-minute basis is levels 4 and beyond.  That way I only take the hit on
those once a day or so.