* Changing Servers
@ 2000-01-27  2:58 Karl EICHWALDER
From: Karl EICHWALDER @ 2000-01-27  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Changing Servers -- that's what I intend to do the next time.  I just
read this section of the manual.

Since I'm my own News administrator, I'll try to run the old and the new
News server simultaneously on the same machine.  I hope I can convince
my old nntpd (or the new INN) to use a different port and a different
spool area...

This statement of the manual makes me a little bit anxious:

       After changing servers, you *must* move the cache hierarchy away,
    since the cached articles will have wrong article numbers, which
    will affect which articles Gnus thinks are read.

Okay, moving away doesn't mean that the articles are lost.  Is there any
builtin functionally to make Gnus slurp in the cached articles after the
servers are changed?

--
work : ke@suse.de                          |
     : http://www.suse.de/~ke/             |          ------    ,__o

* Re: Changing Servers
@ 2000-01-27 10:12 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-01-27 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Karl EICHWALDER <ke@gnu.franken.de> writes:

> Okay, moving away doesn't mean that the articles are lost.  Is there any
> builtin functionally to make Gnus slurp in the cached articles after the
> servers are changed?

You can type `G D' to access the old cache directory, but I think
there is no way to actually `embed' the old cached articles into the
new groups.

kai

* Re: Changing Servers
@ 2000-01-27 20:41   ` Karl EICHWALDER
From: Karl EICHWALDER @ 2000-01-27 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

|   You can type `G D' to access the old cache directory, but I think
|   there is no way to actually `embed' the old cached articles into the
|   new groups.

Thanks! -- It worked nicely (`G d').  Then mark all articles and copy
them into an archive group (`B c').  There's no need to embed the
article; I was on the "Holzweg" (~= I've had a wrong idea).

I think I'll move all my cached articles to separate groups.  Caching
articles is very dangerous; it might happen easily that you hit the key
to "un-cache" an article by accident -- the article is gone immediately
;-(