From: Karl Eichwalder <keichwa@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Can't mark negative article numbers
Date: 14 Jan 2001 07:31:49 +0100	[thread overview]

> You could use `A T' to fetch the whole thread.  That fetches all old
> headers, not just a single one.

Why do I always forget about the `A <x>' keys combinations?  Thanks for
the reminder!

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> Karl Eichwalder <keichwa@gmx.net> writes:
> > It isn't possible to mark/tick an article fetched with
> > `gnus-summary-refer-parent-article'.

> Yes.  This is a fairly fundamental issue.  You see, when you chase to
> a parent article, it may or may not have come from within the same
> group as the group you're currently reading.  If you're reading
> gnu.emacs.gnus and chase to an article's parent, you may be reading an
> article posted (only) to news.software.readers.  What if you don't
> read n.s.r?  What does it mean to mark an article to which you don't
> even have access in the normal case?

Okay, I see the point.  To answer your question: If the article isn't
part of the group gnus might try to copy the article (mail groups)
and/or put it into the cache.

> Generally, if Gnus can figure out where in the current group a
> chased-to article belongs, it will not number it negatively, but will
> show it with its normal within-the-group numbering.

No, I doesn't work for me at all.  To put the question different: Why
does my Gnus always number id-fetched articles negatively?  Obviously,
it can't figure out that the fetched article (`^') belongs to the
current group.

> It is only articles from outside the current group that get such
> treatment.

Unfortunately, not ;)

In addition, I like to propose to change the message to make it sound
more userfriendly.  At the moment it is nothing more than a debugging
message.  Please, add something like this:

    Can't mark negative article numbers; article doesn't belong to
    current group.

Since forthcoming Emacs will be able to deal nicely with multiline
minibuffer messages it shuold be allowed to output more verbose error or
warning messages.

Thanks for all your help!

--
work : ke@suse.de                          |                   ,__o