* [Various] I'm starting this discussion (was "gnus-uu-digest-mail-forward (S-O-m) nit")
@ 2000-02-24 17:07 Steven Elliot Harris
From: Steven Elliot Harris @ 2000-02-24 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Steven Elliot Harris

Here's the result of putting the point on the first message in the
Summary Buffer, which looked like this:

EA+   4 [Steve Harris  ]:= I'm starting this discussion
OA+  10   [Steve Harris  ]:=
OA+  12     [Steve Harris  ]:=
O +  18       [Steven Elliot ]:

and hitting 'S-O-m'.

Note that the attached digest form's contained messages are not in the
correct order:

Digest #         Original #
--------         ----------
1                1
2                4
3                3
4                2

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2641 bytes --]

From: Various
Subject: I'm starting this discussion
Date: Thu Feb 24 09:00:28 2000

Topics:
   I'm starting this discussion
   Re: I'm starting this discussion

Date: 24 Feb 2000 08:54:05 -0800
From: Steve Harris <seh@speakeasy.org>
To: Steven Elliot Harris <seh@speakeasy.org>

This is the first (root) message.

- -
Steven E. Harris

------------------------------

Date: 24 Feb 2000 08:59:41 -0800
From: Steven Elliot Harris <sharris@primus.com>
To: Steve Harris <seh@speakeasy.org>
Subject: Re: I'm starting this discussion

Steve Harris <seh@speakeasy.org> writes:

> Steve Harris <seh@speakeasy.org> writes:
>
> > Steve Harris <seh@speakeasy.org> writes:
> >
> > > This is the first (root) message.
> >
> > Oh, really? Well here's my first reply, then.
>
> You think so, huh? Make this yet another reply!

Let's wrap this up and call this the end of the thread.

- -
Steven E. Harris
Primus Knowledge Solutions, Inc.
http://www.primus.com

------------------------------

Date: 24 Feb 2000 08:58:24 -0800
From: Steve Harris <seh@speakeasy.org>
To: Steve Harris <seh@speakeasy.org>

Date: 24 Feb 2000 08:56:46 -0800
From: Steve Harris <seh@speakeasy.org>
To: Steve Harris <seh@speakeasy.org>

Steve Harris <seh@speakeasy.org> writes:

> This is the first (root) message.

Oh, really? Well here's my first reply, then.

- -
Steven E. Harris
Primus Knowledge Solutions, Inc.
http://www.primus.com

------------------------------

End of forwardmwGeop Digest
***************************

Steven E. Harris
Primus Knowledge Solutions, Inc.
http://www.primus.com

* Re: [Various] I'm starting this discussion (was "gnus-uu-digest-mail-forward (S-O-m) nit")
@ 2000-04-20 20:53 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-20 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steven Elliot Harris <sharris@primus.com> writes:

> Here's the result of putting the point on the first message in the
> Summary Buffer, which looked like this:
>
> EA+   4 [Steve Harris  ]:= I'm starting this discussion
> OA+  10   [Steve Harris  ]:=
> OA+  12     [Steve Harris  ]:=
> O +  18       [Steven Elliot ]:
>
> and hitting 'S-O-m'.
>
> Note that the attached digest form's contained messages are not in the
> correct order:

When not using the process mark, Gnus gets the messages in "series"
order, which is something that's usually only useful for a series of
uuencoded messages which has stuff like "04/07" in the Subject.

* Re: [Various] I'm starting this discussion (was "gnus-uu-digest-mail-forward (S-O-m) nit")
@ 2000-04-20 22:49   ` Steve Harris
From: Steve Harris @ 2000-04-20 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

> When not using the process mark, Gnus gets the messages in "series"
> order, which is something that's usually only useful for a series of
> uuencoded messages which has stuff like "04/07" in the Subject.

Yeah, I noticed that. It's an unfortunate trade-off, because as a user
I wouldn't have noticed that we're reusing the fragmented message
collation routine to figure out which messages I'm referring to
here. I can see how this sequence-based grouping is useful for
uudecoding, but the basic "digest and forward" command doesn't
necessarily have anything to do with fragmented messages. The naive
user (me, in this case) suffers as a result of this code reuse.

So if I want to be able to digest and mail an entire sub-thread, is
there some quick way to process-mark the sub-thread and get them all
digested in the right order?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-20 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Harris <sharris@primus.com> writes:

> Yeah, I noticed that. It's an unfortunate trade-off, because as a user
> I wouldn't have noticed that we're reusing the fragmented message
> collation routine to figure out which messages I'm referring to
> here. I can see how this sequence-based grouping is useful for
> uudecoding, but the basic "digest and forward" command doesn't
> necessarily have anything to do with fragmented messages. The naive
> user (me, in this case) suffers as a result of this code reuse.

Yes -- that command behaves the way it does for hysterical raisins.
(The command debuted as a part of gnus-uu.)

> So if I want to be able to digest and mail an entire sub-thread, is
> there some quick way to process-mark the sub-thread and get them all
> digested in the right order?

`T # S O m'.

* Re: [Various] I'm starting this discussion (was "gnus-uu-digest-mail-forward (S-O-m) nit")
@ 2000-04-21  2:31       ` Steve Harris
From: Steve Harris @ 2000-04-21  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

> > So if I want to be able to digest and mail an entire sub-thread, is
> > there some quick way to process-mark the sub-thread and get them all
> > digested in the right order?
>
> `T # S O m'.

Splendid! Thanks for your attention. ;)