* forwarding messages when editing
@ 1999-12-13  5:58 Brian May
From: Brian May @ 1999-12-13  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Everyone:

There already is a function very similar to what I wanted -

have a look at the "S y" command, from the summary buffer.

Not sure if this requires supercite or not (I use supercite).

This command will prompt you for a message buffer, and automatically
insert the cited version of the current message at the current
cursor position *in that buffer*.

Now, I imagine that it should be easy to adapt that routine to
1. copy the entire message, and to
2. quote it with the appropriate MIME tags.

In fact, I suspect 1 has already been implemented for the above command
(I haven't verified this).

However, I may have missed another proposal to do the same thing...
I apologise if I am just repeating stuff that is already widely
known.

--
Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>

* Re: forwarding messages when editing
@ 1999-12-14  0:01 ` Brian May
From: Brian May @ 1999-12-14  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Brian> have a look at the "S y" command, from the summary buffer.

    Brian> Not sure if this requires supercite or not (I use
    Brian> supercite).

    Brian> This command will prompt you for a message buffer, and
    Brian> automatically insert the cited version of the current
    Brian> message at the current cursor position *in that buffer*.

Looks like I was partly mistaken here - I assumed that "S y" would
fetch the original article in raw mode (ie headers aren't filtered),
so that citations/references work properly, etc.

However, "S y" doesn't do this if the article has already been
fetched. In this case, you need to manually refetch it with "C-u g"
first.

A pity this isn't done by default... Perhaps this (IMHO) inconsistent
behaviour is a bug somewhere?

(Note: supercite will work without full header information, but cannot
supply full details for some styles, eg when the message-id is
required).

--
Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>