* Why save MIME?
@ 2002-01-21 18:58 nimo
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: nimo @ 2002-01-21 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I was living happily with ognus 0.03 and decided to upgrade to 0.04
(and 0.05 this morning) to get so many improvements.

Now I have this unpleasant behaviour that when I open a mail with
alternative plain-html MIME encoding: I don't see the text/plain part
and of course I don't see the text/html because I deactivated it (too
often w3 doesn't decode html correctly and I end up with html code on
the screen instead).

Now, as soon as I read a mail like that, I am offered to 'Save MIME
part to: ' and the mime part of the mail is save to disk.
Can't I just see the text/plain part instead?

Thanks,

Nicolas

--
  Nicolas Morais
  CAE Inc. -- Simulation et formation militaire

* Re: Why save MIME?
@ 2002-01-21 19:58 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-21 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

nimo@p1686.cae.ca writes:

> Now I have this unpleasant behaviour that when I open a mail with
> alternative plain-html MIME encoding: I don't see the text/plain part
> and of course I don't see the text/html because I deactivated it (too
> often w3 doesn't decode html correctly and I end up with html code on
> the screen instead).
>
> Now, as soon as I read a mail like that, I am offered to 'Save MIME
> part to: ' and the mime part of the mail is save to disk.
> Can't I just see the text/plain part instead?

How did you deactivate the HTML stuff?

* Re: Why save MIME?
@ 2002-01-21 20:45   ` nimo
From: nimo @ 2002-01-21 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Erh,

I removed w3 files if I remember correctly.  When I really need it, I
do a soft link in share/emacs/site-lisp to a directory where I
byte-compiled the last version of w3.  Then I open emacs and I can
load w3.  It works fine.

Without w3, in ognus 0.03 I was presented the plain text.  I could
click on gif attachments and see them in the buffer.  That was a good
time...

Nicolas

[...]

--

@ 2002-01-21 20:58 ` nimo
From: nimo @ 2002-01-21 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everybody,

I received an advice from Jes Sorensen which gave me back the desired
behaviour.  I am pretty sure I already had something similar and
removed it for some good reason.  And as it wasn't necessary with
0.03... Anyway it is simply to encourage gnus to display the plain
part.

These lines do the trick :

(setq mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "text/richtext"))
(setq mm-automatic-display '("text/plain" "message/delivery-status" "message/rfc822"))

--

@ 2002-01-22  9:44 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-01-22  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

nimo@p1686.cae.ca writes:

> Now I have this unpleasant behaviour that when I open a mail with
> alternative plain-html MIME encoding: I don't see the text/plain part
> and of course I don't see the text/html because I deactivated it (too
> often w3 doesn't decode html correctly and I end up with html code on
> the screen instead).

(add-to-list 'mm-discouraged-alternatives "text/html")

This will show you text/plain if both text/plain and text/html are
present.  Does that help?

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)