* Is this a bug in gnus or in the message?
@ 2000-02-08 23:29 Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2000-02-08 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Attached are the (partial) headers of a message that I saw on the XEmacs
beta mailing list. I think that this message does not have enough MIME
headers to actually work which is why I saw it as text, not as several
parts.

I have included all the headers except the delivered-to ones. I think
this is enough for someone who understands MIME to comment. I can
forward the message if that's useful...

Even if this is so, might it be nice to recognize the MIME message
anyway? This /is/ generated with an (older) Gnus, after all. ;)

        Daniel

To: xemacs-beta@xemacs.org
Subject: Strange Gutters Behaviour
From: npak@kazbek.ispras.ru (Nick V. Pakoulin)
Date: 08 Feb 2000 20:09:55 +0300
Sender: owner-xemacs-beta@xemacs.org

Cyberspace is the funhouse mirror of our own society.
        -- Bruce Sterling

* Re: Is this a bug in gnus or in the message?
@ 2000-02-09 10:48 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-02-09 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Daniel Pittman" <daniel@danann.net> writes:

Well, if the message explicitly says it's text/plain, that's what Gnus
is going to think.

After all, it is conceivable (if improbable) that the user really
wanted to transmit the content as text/plain.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: Is this a bug in gnus or in the message?
@ 2000-02-09 10:52 ` Toby Speight
From: Toby Speight @ 2000-02-09 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel> Daniel Pittman <URL:mailto:daniel@danann.net>

0> In article <87k8kfff3o.fsf@inanna.osa.com.au>, Daniel wrote:

Daniel> Attached are the (partial) headers of a message that I saw on
Daniel> the XEmacs beta mailing list. I think that this message does
Daniel> not have enough MIME headers to actually work which is why I
Daniel> saw it as text, not as several parts.
Daniel>
Daniel> Mime-Version: 1.0 (generated by tm-edit 1.5)
Daniel>  boundary="Multipart_Tue_Feb__8_16:21:10_2000-1"
Daniel> X-Mailer: Gnus v5.6.45/XEmacs 21.2 - "Hermes"
Daniel> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII

It looks like it's been chewed by a list-mangler or something.  It's
declared as text/plain, so Gnus is doing the right thing showing it
thus.  It looks like a Content-Type line was removed from just after
the Mime-Version line - but not the continuation of it (which is why
the boundary attribute is attached to the Mime-Version.

I don't know if we're reading the Content-Type line, or deciding that
the malformed Mime-Version line means that it's not a MIME message and
defaulting to text/plain; charset=US-ASCII as we should.

Rather than hacking Gnus to correct the article, I suggest you edit it
(with "e" from the Summary buffer) - write a function to do the repair
if you get many such messages.

FWIW, I think other mailreaders will be consistent with Gnus by
default (if not, then they are MIME-broken).