* Bug when using the agent and spam.el
@ 2003-02-11 11:07 Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2003-02-11 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Now I've found the time to be constructive and not only
whine about the problems I'm having with the agent. This is
what I do:

1. I enter a ham group with two new messages. One is spam
   and one is ham.
2. I view the ham message.
3. I mark the spam message as spam with `M-d' without
   viewing it.
4. I exit the group.

The next time I enter the group the spam message is still
there (marked as unread and undownloaded). This is terribly
frustrating when it happens to tens (and possibly hundreds)
of spam emails at a time and has made me stop using `M-d'
and instead just move the spam messages in my ham groups out
of the way with `B m'.

Some more observations:

- The spam message is not cached by the agent.
- The spam message is not on the IMAP server (verified by
  using another IMAP client to look at the group).
- gnus-agent-regenerate does not help.
- Unplugging and replugging the agent does not help.
- Restarting Gnus does help and the message is no longer
  visible in the summary buffer.

Could it be that the method used by spam.el to move messages
is not the standard one? Perhaps this is also the reason
that moving messages out of the spam group automatically
does not work (pure guessing without having looked at the
code).

Niklas

* Re: Bug when using the agent and spam.el
@ 2003-02-11 18:03 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-02-11 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, niklas.morberg@axis.com wrote:
> Now I've found the time to be constructive and not only
> whine about the problems I'm having with the agent. This is
> what I do:
>
> 1. I enter a ham group with two new messages. One is spam
>    and one is ham.
> 2. I view the ham message.
> 3. I mark the spam message as spam with `M-d' without
>    viewing it.
> 4. I exit the group.
>
> The next time I enter the group the spam message is still
> there (marked as unread and undownloaded). This is terribly
> frustrating when it happens to tens (and possibly hundreds)
> of spam emails at a time and has made me stop using `M-d'
> and instead just move the spam messages in my ham groups out
> of the way with `B m'.

I don't use the agent, so I can't really duplicate your situation.
Are you sure your spam-process-destination is set for that group?
What does
(gnus-parameter-spam-process-destination gnus-newsgroup-name) return
when you are in that group?

> Some more observations:
>
> - The spam message is not cached by the agent.
> - The spam message is not on the IMAP server (verified by
>   using another IMAP client to look at the group).
> - gnus-agent-regenerate does not help.
> - Unplugging and replugging the agent does not help.
> - Restarting Gnus does help and the message is no longer
>   visible in the summary buffer.
>
> Could it be that the method used by spam.el to move messages
> is not the standard one? Perhaps this is also the reason
> that moving messages out of the spam group automatically
> does not work (pure guessing without having looked at the
> code).

See the other thread for the spam-ham-move-routine;
spam-mark-spam-as-expired-and-move-routine is similar for spam
moving.  I just call (gnus-summary-move-article nil group) with
gnus-current-article set to the article number of interest.  My code
is probably wrong, since I had to figure things out pretty much by
myself - suggestions for fixing it or pointers to places in the Gnus
code where articles are moved properly are welcome.

Ted

* Re: Bug when using the agent and spam.el
@ 2003-02-12  8:11   ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2003-02-12  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I don't use the agent, so I can't really duplicate your situation.

It's really easy to set-up (see e.g. Kevins message
<uadh2hecc.fsf@xpediantsolutions.com> in the nnimap usage
model thread), but I don't think you need to bother. Your
latest change with the process-mark stuff seems to have
fixed this as well.

> Are you sure your spam-process-destination is set for that
> group? What does (gnus-parameter-spam-process-destination
> gnus-newsgroup-name) return when you are in that group?

Just for the record, this was properly set up. (g-p-s-p-d
g-n-n) returned "spam".

Anyway, things seem to be running a lot more smoothly now,
thanks a lot for looking at this.

Niklas