* nnfolders and nnmail on NT?
@ 1996-07-31 18:32 Robert Nicholson
From: Robert Nicholson @ 1996-07-31 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

This may be littleoff topic but last time I asked people were saying
that they were using GNUS under NT with the movemail that speaks POP3?

I'd like know if anybody is running GNUS with SMTP mail under NT and
if so, how are you filtering your mail to create yoru .spool files?

* Re: nnfolders and nnmail on NT?
@ 1996-07-31 20:42 ` Michael Welsh Duggan
From: Michael Welsh Duggan @ 1996-07-31 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntemacs

Robert Nicholson <steffi@DGS.dgsys.com> writes:

> This may be littleoff topic but last time I asked people were saying
> that they were using GNUS under NT with the movemail that speaks POP3?
>
> I'd like know if anybody is running GNUS with SMTP mail under NT and
> if so, how are you filtering your mail to create yoru .spool files?

This probably ought to be in both the NTEmacs and Gnus FAQs, so this
has been CC'd to the ntemacs mailing list.

This is valid for Gnus 5.2.somehighnumber.  I suggest getting the
latest one you can find, as there were several NT-specific bugfixes
inside there.  It will probably work on Gnus 5.3, but no guarantees.

First, for SMTP, you want smptmail.el.  You can retrieve this from
<URL:http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html> courtesy
of the NTEmacs FAQ.

I then have the following incantations in my .emacs:

;;; Mail!
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "localhost")
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq message-user-organization "Schenley Park Research, Inc.")
(require 'smtpmail)

Note that the smtp-server variable should point to your smtp server.
Mine just happens to be on localhost.

That done, there are a couple of variables you will want to set in
your .gnus file:

;;; Select Method
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.usaor.net"))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnfolder "~/Mail")))
;; Needless to say, this needn't be nnfolder, and it needn't be in
;; ~/Mail

;;; Some other things
(setq gnus-use-long-file-name nil) ; This used to be necessary, but a
				   ; later version of gnus fixed it so
				   ; that colons became underscores.

;;; Mail!
(setenv "MAILHOST" "schenley.com")
(setq nnmail-spool-file '("po:md5i" "po:root"))
;; "po:username" for whatever your mailhost is.  This requires
;; movemail, which comes with NTEmacs.  Red Gnus will have native POP
;; support.  (Yeah!)
(setq nnmail-pop-password-required t)
(setq nnmail-pop-password "nottellingyou")
(setq nnmail-use-long-file-names t) ; Suit to taste
(setq nnmail-crosspost-link-function 'copy-file) ; Needed!

All this is a minimal gnus installation.  You will probably want to
look up and set a whole hoard of other options.  As with any program,
I suggest checking the documentation of any and all variables I have
mentioned here before using them.  It is possible that one of these is
not set the way you would actually like it.  And you should _always_
understand what is in your .emacs.

Hope this helps!

--
Michael Duggan