* Agent Customization check-in
@ 2003-03-03  1:06 Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-03-03  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just to let everyone know, I just finished a rather large check-in.

If you download individual files, the following files should be
downloaded together because their modifications are cross-dependent.

  gnus-agent.el, gnus-art.el, gnus-cus.el, gnus-int.el

Also, gnus-start.el is dependent on a change in gnus-util.el.

The new features are:
* Agent parameters are now merged with group/topic parameters.  This
  means that you can customize agent behavior at the individual group
  level.
* Agent categories (which are still supported) now have a
  customization buffer.  The 'e' command in the category buffer will
  display it.
* The precidence rule for parameters is in decending order: group
  parameter, topic parameter, category parameter, defined constant.
* A new agent parameter has been added.  It enables/disables agent
  expiration per individual group.
* The gnus-agent-cache feature, which did not appear to function per
  the documentation, has been re-implemented.  When gnus-agent-cache
  is cleared (i.e. nil), the plugged agent will always fetch from the
  server.
* You can now configure gnus to write .newsrc.eld directly to disk.
  It is considerably slower than saving a temporary buffer but can
  prevent memory exhaustion errors.

Kevin

* Re: Agent Customization check-in
@ 2003-03-03  1:50 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2003-03-03  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hi,

> Just to let everyone know, I just finished a rather large check-in.

As you know, RMS requires that cl run-time functions should not
be used.  However, in the functions gnus-category-edit-predicate,
gnus-category-edit-score and gnus-category-edit-groups, you used
the setf macro which is provided by cl-macs.el in the backquoted
forms.  They all require cl at the run-time.

We should take care not to use cl in everyday life.

Regards,
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>

* Re: Agent Customization check-in
@ 2003-03-03  2:42   ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-03-03  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> Hi,

>> Just to let everyone know, I just finished a rather large check-in.
>
> As you know, RMS requires that cl run-time functions should not
> be used.  However, in the functions gnus-category-edit-predicate,
> gnus-category-edit-score and gnus-category-edit-groups, you used
> the setf macro which is provided by cl-macs.el in the backquoted
> forms.  They all require cl at the run-time.
>
> We should take care not to use cl in everyday life.

Thanks.

The setf forms have been removed.

Kevin