* Re: [0.97] Output from gnus-simplify-subject-functions not respected?
       [not found] <wtn66y15wg2.fsf@parmer.dtek.chalmers.se>
@ 1999-12-14 16:57 ` Simon Josefsson
       [not found]   ` <wtn7lihuuub.fsf@licia.dtek.chalmers.se>
From: Simon Josefsson @ 1999-12-14 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:

> Just curious: Is not the output from gnus-simplify-subject-functions
> respected/used?

I believe it only affect threading/scoring, anyway I never got it to
update my summary buffer; hence `gnus-list-identifiers', which I think
is what you're looking for.

@ 1999-12-15 10:52     ` Toby Speight
From: Toby Speight @ 1999-12-15 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas> Jonas Steverud <URL:mailto:d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se>

0> In article <wtn7lihuuub.fsf@licia.dtek.chalmers.se>, Jonas wrote:

Jonas> I'm against gnus-list-identifiers for a simple reason: It is a
Jonas> list of regexps.  Although regexps are powerful (and I use them
Jonas> in js-gnus-simplify-subject-function) they are "dumb" - they
Jonas> aren't functions.  There are few "if-then-else" in regexps.
Jonas>
Jonas> I want to remove the "***" in "*** foobar ***" but not in
Jonas> "foobar ***" (the former is definetly a decoration but the
Jonas> latter might not be).  I want to simplify "!!!!!!" into "!". If
Jonas> you have any good regexps for this I would be happy to use
Jonas> them.

The first requirement is probably solved via the use of "\\`" (beginning
of string) in your regexp.  (Though in my case, leading stars may occur in
subjects like "**p++ giving me trouble" - though I confess I'm unlikely to
get 3 or more).

The second case needs some new code.  I suggest something similar to
gnus-list-identifiers, but with a less specific name.  Each entry
would be either a regex or a pair (regex . replacement).  So you
could have entries like ("\\([?!]\\)\\1+" . "\\1") to deal with your
example.

Jonas> One might not only want to wash the subject but also the
Jonas> author.

That's easily done, using `gnus-extract-address-components'.