* gnus 5.5, ntemacs, .gnus-cache
@ 1997-10-29  9:46 Fabrice POPINEAU
From: Fabrice POPINEAU @ 1997-10-29  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have this problem for a long time now. When I run 'M-x gnus', there
are little chances that the *Group* buffer will ever display. Instead,
after getting newsgroups by nntp and reading mail (using nnml), gnus
is blocked with the message "updating .gnus-cache" or something like
that. Emacs is running, at least taskmgr is saying it uses 90% of cpu,
but it never stops. If I hit 'C-g', and run 'M-x gnus' again,
everything is fine.

What's the problem ?

Thanks,

Fabrice Popineau

* Re: gnus 5.5, ntemacs, .gnus-cache
@ 1997-11-05 13:01 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-11-05 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fabrice POPINEAU <popineau@esemetz.ese-metz.fr> writes:

> I have this problem for a long time now. When I run 'M-x gnus', there
> are little chances that the *Group* buffer will ever display. Instead,
> after getting newsgroups by nntp and reading mail (using nnml), gnus
> is blocked with the message "updating .gnus-cache" or something like
> that. Emacs is running, at least taskmgr is saying it uses 90% of cpu,
> but it never stops. If I hit 'C-g', and run 'M-x gnus' again,
> everything is fine.
>
> What's the problem ?

Sounds like Gnus is trying to update the cache active file.  Do you
have a gazillion files in your cache?

* Re: gnus 5.5, ntemacs, .gnus-cache
@ 1997-11-06  7:16   ` Fabrice POPINEAU
From: Fabrice POPINEAU @ 1997-11-06  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Lars> Fabrice POPINEAU <popineau@esemetz.ese-metz.fr> writes:

    Fabrice> I have this problem for a long time now. When I run 'M-x
    Fabrice> gnus', there are little chances that the *Group* buffer
    Fabrice> will ever display. Instead, after getting newsgroups by
    Fabrice> nntp and reading mail (using nnml), gnus is blocked with
    Fabrice> the message "updating .gnus-cache" or something like
    Fabrice> that. Emacs is running, at least taskmgr is saying it
    Fabrice> uses 90% of cpu, but it never stops. If I hit 'C-g', and
    Fabrice> run 'M-x gnus' again, everything is fine.

    Lars> Sounds like Gnus is trying to update the cache active file.
    Lars> Do you have a gazillion files in your cache?

11/05/97  05:11p               429,201 .newsrc.eld
11/05/97  02:42p               429,002 .newsrc.eld~
11/05/97  02:42p                94,842 .newsrc~
09/25/97  10:34a        <DIR>          .nneething
11/06/97  08:08a                44,875 .nnmail-cache

Not so much, but I have lots of nnml mail files, and I'm afraid gnus
is trying to cache them. I have just change 'gnus-uncacheable-groups'
to "^nnml".

Fabrice

* Re: gnus 5.5, ntemacs, .gnus-cache
@ 1997-11-06 10:27   ` Fabrice POPINEAU
From: Fabrice POPINEAU @ 1997-11-06 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

More information:

- same thing after (setq gnus-uncacheable-groups "^nnml")

- message is "loading gnus-cache ... done"
  and gnus fails to display the groups buffer.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-11-13 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fabrice POPINEAU <popineau@esemetz.ese-metz.fr> writes:

>     Fabrice> I have this problem for a long time now. When I run 'M-x
>     Fabrice> gnus', there are little chances that the *Group* buffer
>     Fabrice> will ever display. Instead, after getting newsgroups by
>     Fabrice> nntp and reading mail (using nnml), gnus is blocked with
>     Fabrice> the message "updating .gnus-cache" or something like
>     Fabrice> that. Emacs is running, at least taskmgr is saying it
>     Fabrice> uses 90% of cpu, but it never stops. If I hit 'C-g', and
>     Fabrice> run 'M-x gnus' again, everything is fine.

[...]

> Not so much, but I have lots of nnml mail files, and I'm afraid gnus
> is trying to cache them. I have just change 'gnus-uncacheable-groups'
> to "^nnml".

Try to `(setq debug-on-quit t)' and then `C-g' when it hangs.  Mail me
the resulting backtrace.