* How to download all articles with the agent?
@ 2003-07-03 10:04 Niklas Morberg
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2003-07-03 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've started to use the agent again after deleting my old
stuff. How can I tell it to download all articles in a
group?

After starting gnus with the agent I pressed `J u' for one
of my groups to download articles. I noticed that not all
articles were downloaded.

I went to the group buffer, pressed `J c'. Created a new
category called `all'. Customized the group with `e', changed
`Selection Predicate' to `true', selected a member group
and pressed Done.

When I do `J u' for this group, I expect all articles to be
downloaded, but they are not.

What to do?

Niklas

* Re: How to download all articles with the agent?
@ 2003-07-03 13:56 ` David S Goldberg
From: David S Goldberg @ 2003-07-03 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think you may need to set gnus-agent-consider-all-articles to t.
--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: How to download all articles with the agent?
@ 2003-07-03 14:01   ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2003-07-03 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

David S Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net> writes:

> I think you may need to set gnus-agent-consider-all-articles to t.

Hm. It already is t. My agent related variables are:

(setq
 gnus-agent t
 gnus-agent-consider-all-articles t
 gnus-agent-expire-days 36500
 gnus-agent-mark-unread-after-downloaded nil)
(add-hook 'gnus-select-article-hook 'gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article)

@ 2003-07-03 14:02 ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2003-07-03 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Niklas> I've started to use the agent again after deleting my old
Niklas> stuff. How can I tell it to download all articles in a group?

Gotta run.  short answer: read the info pages about the agent and
specifically categories and predicates.

Niklas> I went to the group buffer, pressed `J c'. Created a new
Niklas> category called `all'. Customized the group with `e', changed
Niklas> `Selection Predicate' to `true', selected a member group
Niklas> and pressed Done.

Niklas> When I do `J u' for this group, I expect all articles to be
Niklas> downloaded, but they are not.

However, that sounds about right.  The hard thing is to make sure you
assigned the group properly to the category.

* Re: How to download all articles with the agent?
@ 2003-07-03 14:13   ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2003-07-03 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:

> The hard thing is to make sure you assigned the group
> properly to the category.

FWIW, I also tried using group parameters and setting:

 (agent-predicate . true)

for the group. Still lots of messages that are not being
downloaded.

If I enter the group and explicitly asks for articles to be
downloaded (`J #') they will be. Unfortunately there is no
easy way to mark the entire summary buffer (prefix argument
seem not to work if there are downloaded messages mixed in
or if the summary buffer is threaded).

@ 2003-07-03 15:44 ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-07-03 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:

> I've started to use the agent again after deleting my old
> stuff. How can I tell it to download all articles in a
> group?
>
> After starting gnus with the agent I pressed `J u' for one
> of my groups to download articles. I noticed that not all
> articles were downloaded.
>
> I went to the group buffer, pressed `J c'. Created a new
> category called `all'. Customized the group with `e', changed
> `Selection Predicate' to `true', selected a member group
> and pressed Done.
>
> When I do `J u' for this group, I expect all articles to be
> downloaded, but they are not.
>
> What to do?

Well to start with, the agent is actually smart enough (barely) to not
download articles that are already downloaded.

So, display the group's summary buffer.

Enter 'J S' to fetch all articles by predicate.  Articles that are no
longer available on your server will be marked as canceled (You MUST
be in the summary buffer for the agent to set article canceled marks).

If you still have undownloaded and uncanceled articles.  You can
either set download marks (@) or process marks(#) on all articles.
Personally, I'd move point to the first time then enter 'ESC 99999 #'
to process mark all articles.  Then enter 'J S' to fetch by download
mark or 'J s' to fetch by process mark.

BTW, the agent reads its parameters from the group's parameters, the
group's topic parameters, and then the group's agent category so it is
possible that your 'all' category was overridden.  If you want to
investigate the configuration further, you might try configuring the
agent parameters on the group's customization buffer
(gnus-group-customize or 'G c' in the group buffer).

Kevin

* Re: How to download all articles with the agent?
@ 2003-07-11  9:00   ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2003-07-11  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:

> Personally, I'd move point to the first time then enter 'ESC 99999 #'
> to process mark all articles.  Then enter 'J S' to fetch by download
> mark or 'J s' to fetch by process mark.

The `J s' thing worked like a charm, thank you. There is no
menu item for fetching by process mark, so I couldn't find
it. Maybe this should be added?

Niklas