* gnus-demon-scan-mail doesn't show new mail
@ 2001-03-14 17:41 Roman Belenov
From: Roman Belenov @ 2001-03-14 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I started using gnus-demon-scan-mail to periodically grab mail via
nnimap. The problem is that although it does the job, new mail doesn't
appear in the Group buffer and corresponding folder until
gnus-group-get-news is called (either manually or via
gnus-demon-scan-news).

I'm using Gnus 5.8.8 under GNU Emacs 20.7.1/Windows 2000.

--
 							With regards, Roman.

* Re: gnus-demon-scan-mail doesn't show new mail
@ 2001-03-14 18:18 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-03-14 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 14 Mar 2001, Roman Belenov wrote:

> I started using gnus-demon-scan-mail to periodically grab mail via
> nnimap. The problem is that although it does the job, new mail
> doesn't appear in the Group buffer and corresponding folder until
> gnus-group-get-news is called (either manually or via
> gnus-demon-scan-news).

So, I guess you want to use gnus-demon-scan-news, too.  Or is this a
problem?

kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.

* Re: gnus-demon-scan-mail doesn't show new mail
@ 2001-03-14 18:33   ` Roman Belenov
From: Roman Belenov @ 2001-03-14 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> On 14 Mar 2001, Roman Belenov wrote:
>
> > I started using gnus-demon-scan-mail to periodically grab mail via
> > nnimap. The problem is that although it does the job, new mail
> > doesn't appear in the Group buffer and corresponding folder until
> > gnus-group-get-news is called (either manually or via
> > gnus-demon-scan-news).
>
> So, I guess you want to use gnus-demon-scan-news, too.  Or is this a
> problem?

gnus-demon-scan-news takes much time (I'm reading
news from several remote news servers), while fetching mail is fast
since I'm using local server. So it's reasonable to scan mail more
often then news.

--

@ 2001-03-14 19:48     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-03-14 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 14 Mar 2001, Roman Belenov wrote:

> gnus-demon-scan-news takes much time (I'm reading
> news from several remote news servers), while fetching mail is fast
> since I'm using local server. So it's reasonable to scan mail more
> often then news.

Does it help to do the following?

    (a) set all mail groups to level 1 or 2
    (b) set all news groups to level 3 or higher
    (c) copy the function gnus-demon-scan-news, but change
        (gnus-group-get-new-news) to (gnus-group-get-new-news 2)
    (d) set up the demon to call the new function

kai
--

@ 2001-03-14 20:01       ` Roman Belenov
From: Roman Belenov @ 2001-03-14 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> On 14 Mar 2001, Roman Belenov wrote:
>
> > gnus-demon-scan-news takes much time (I'm reading
> > news from several remote news servers), while fetching mail is fast
> > since I'm using local server. So it's reasonable to scan mail more
> > often then news.
>
> Does it help to do the following?
>
>     (a) set all mail groups to level 1 or 2
>     (b) set all news groups to level 3 or higher
>     (c) copy the function gnus-demon-scan-news, but change
>         (gnus-group-get-new-news) to (gnus-group-get-new-news 2)
>     (d) set up the demon to call the new function

Yes, it works, but I still don't understand why gnus-demon-scan-mail
doesn't do it - it appears pretty useless in the current state.

--
 							With regards, Roman.