* C-x m versus m in Gnus
@ 2001-01-15 12:07 Ian Swainson
From: Ian Swainson @ 2001-01-15 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

When I use C-x m to compose a mail, it does not include the Gcc: Header, and yet
when I use m in Gnus, it does. So a C-x m composed mail doesn't get saved in my
sent folder. How do I get it to use Gnus's defaults?

mail-user-agent's value is message-user-agent.

Cheers,
Ian

--
fortune says:

A well adjusted person is one who makes
the same mistake twice without getting nervous.

~~~~~~~~~~~~Made in Ireland using GNU Emacs~~~~~~~~~~~~
		Available *free* from:
		  http://www.gnu.org
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html
	      http://www.gnusoftware.com

* Re: C-x m versus m in Gnus
@ 2001-01-15 12:39 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-01-15 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 15 Jan 2001, Ian Swainson wrote:

> When I use C-x m to compose a mail, it does not include the Gcc:
> Header, and yet when I use m in Gnus, it does. So a C-x m composed
> mail doesn't get saved in my sent folder. How do I get it to use
> Gnus's defaults?

Gnus 5.8.8 offers a choice `gnus-user-agent' for the variable
mail-user-agent.

kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.

* Re: C-x m versus m in Gnus
@ 2001-01-15 14:15   ` Ian Swainson
From: Ian Swainson @ 2001-01-15 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,

> Gnus 5.8.8 offers a choice `gnus-user-agent' for the variable
> mail-user-agent.

Thanks Kai. This works great if I C-x m after having started Gnus (I could start
it and then q it too), but if I start Emacs and then do C-x m (without having
already started Gnus) I get an error as follows:

Symbol's function definition is void: nil

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Ian

--
fortune says:

A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you.
-- Ramsey Clark

@ 2001-01-26  0:58     ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2001-01-26  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Ian Swainson <ian.swainson@clients.ie> writes:

> Thanks Kai. This works great if I C-x m after having started Gnus (I
> could start it and then q it too), but if I start Emacs and then do
> C-x m (without having already started Gnus) I get an error as
> follows:
>
> Symbol's function definition is void: nil
>
> Any ideas?

I had the same problem, and after mucking around in the source for a
while, I came up with this solution, though I'm not sure what parts of
it, if any, have been superceeded by 5.8.8.  If anyone notices I'm
doing the wrong thing(TM), here, please let me know.

  (require 'message)
  (require 'gnus-msg)

  (define-mail-user-agent 'gnus-user-agent
    'gnus-mail 'message-send-and-exit
    'message-kill-buffer 'message-send-hook)

  (defun gnus-mail (&rest args)
    "Start editing a mail message to be sent gnus style.
  Use message mode as the underlying agent."
    (unless (and (fboundp 'gnus-alive-p) (gnus-alive-p))
      (gnus-no-server)
      (gnus-group-suspend))
    (gnus-setup-message 'message (apply 'message-mail args)))

  (setq mail-user-agent 'gnus-user-agent)

Hope this helps.

* Re: C-x m versus m in Gnus
@ 2001-01-26 14:26     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-01-26 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ian Swainson <ian.swainson@clients.ie> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> > Gnus 5.8.8 offers a choice `gnus-user-agent' for the variable
> > mail-user-agent.
>
> Thanks Kai. This works great if I C-x m after having started Gnus (I could start
> it and then q it too), but if I start Emacs and then do C-x m (without having
> already started Gnus) I get an error as follows:
>
> Symbol's function definition is void: nil

Excuse me butting in here belatedly:

The var suggested by Kai `gnus-user-agent',  is there documentation on
this somewhere?

Running 5.8.8 of several months  vintage my INFO manual shows:

        This manual corresponds to Gnus 5.7.

and has no documentation of this variable So updating via cvs I see I
now have `Oort Gnus v0.01.  Which still says 5.7 and still doesn't
contain any hits on `gnus-user-agent'.

If using the variable allows the former RMAIL commands like C-x m to
work in gnus, is it also possible to get the RMAIL command:

`C-x 5 m' (`compose-mail-other-frame') to work for gnus?

That question was raised here some time back but no one mentioned this
as a possibility.

* Re: C-x m versus m in Gnus
@ 2001-01-26 16:00       ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-01-26 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Running 5.8.8 of several months  vintage my INFO manual shows:
>
>         This manual corresponds to Gnus 5.7.

Maybe you need to update your info dir?

paul

* Re: C-x m versus m in Gnus
@ 2001-01-26 23:17         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-01-26 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> > Running 5.8.8 of several months  vintage my INFO manual shows:
> >
> >         This manual corresponds to Gnus 5.7.
>
> Maybe you need to update your info dir?

I'm reading the gnus info directly with info -f pgnus/texi/gnus

Do I need to do something special to update the texi directory?

I called `cvs update' in my pgnus directory before posting to get the
newest manual.  After seeing your message I cd'ed to pgnus/texi
and called`cvs update' again,  getting this ouput:

    $ cvs update
   ? new
   cvs server: Updating .
   cvs server: Updating ps

info -f gnus still shows 5.7

Finally I downloaded
gnus-current-20010126 from quimby and ran  diff:

diff gnus-current-20010126/texi/gnus.texi /usr/local/pgnus/texi/gnus.texi
  (no output... they are the same)

Also tried `info -f gnus'  Still 5.7

Also I see no `Oort' package at quimby.

* Re: C-x m versus m in Gnus
@ 2001-01-26 23:29           ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-01-26 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> > > Running 5.8.8 of several months  vintage my INFO manual shows:
> > >
> > >         This manual corresponds to Gnus 5.7.
>
> I'm reading the gnus info directly with info -f pgnus/texi/gnus

Is pgnus the right place to be looking?  It shouldn't be if you've got
oGnus now.  My 5.8.8 (not pgnus, not ognus, just gnus) gnus.texi says:
This manual corresponds to Gnus 5.8.8.

> Do I need to do something special to update the texi directory?

'make info' should be enough, I think.

> I called `cvs update' in my pgnus directory before posting to get the
> newest manual.

I haven't gotten into CVS yet, but my guess is maybe that you're
getting the newest pgnus, but that's not the newest gnus.  Beyond
that, I'm stumped.

paul

* Re: C-x m versus m in Gnus
@ 2001-01-27  5:17       ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-01-27  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> writes:

> Ian Swainson <ian.swainson@clients.ie> writes:
>
> > Thanks Kai. This works great if I C-x m after having started Gnus (I
> > could start it and then q it too), but if I start Emacs and then do
> > C-x m (without having already started Gnus) I get an error as
> > follows:
> >
> > Symbol's function definition is void: nil
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> I had the same problem, and after mucking around in the source for a
> while, I came up with this solution, though I'm not sure what parts of
> it, if any, have been superceeded by 5.8.8.  If anyone notices I'm
> doing the wrong thing(TM), here, please let me know.

(require 'gnus-msg)
(setq mail-user-agent 'gnus-user-agent)

These two lines are enough to make `C-x m' works.

ShengHuo

--
(setq gnus-posting-styles '((".*" (signature-file "~/.signature"))))

* Re: C-x m versus m in Gnus
@ 2001-01-27  5:19       ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-01-27  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

> Excuse me butting in here belatedly:
>
> The var suggested by Kai `gnus-user-agent',  is there documentation on
> this somewhere?
>
> Running 5.8.8 of several months  vintage my INFO manual shows:
>
>         This manual corresponds to Gnus 5.7.
>
> and has no documentation of this variable So updating via cvs I see I
> now have `Oort Gnus v0.01.  Which still says 5.7 and still doesn't
> contain any hits on `gnus-user-agent'.

I guess you did not *install* the manual or the installed manual is
not in Info path.

> If using the variable allows the former RMAIL commands like C-x m to
> work in gnus, is it also possible to get the RMAIL command:
>
> `C-x 5 m' (`compose-mail-other-frame') to work for gnus?

Implemented in oGnus v0.01.

ShengHuo

--
(setq gnus-posting-styles '((".*" (signature-file "~/.signature"))))

* Re: C-x m versus m in Gnus [manual versions]
@ 2001-01-27 18:23         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-01-27 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> [...]
>
> > Excuse me butting in here belatedly:
> >
> > The var suggested by Kai `gnus-user-agent',  is there documentation on
> > this somewhere?
> >
> > Running 5.8.8 of several months  vintage my INFO manual shows:
> >
> >         This manual corresponds to Gnus 5.7.
> >
> > and has no documentation of this variable So updating via cvs I see I
> > now have `Oort Gnus v0.01.  Which still says 5.7 and still doesn't
> > contain any hits on `gnus-user-agent'.
>
> I guess you did not *install* the manual or the installed manual is
> not in Info path.
>
> > If using the variable allows the former RMAIL commands like C-x m to
> > work in gnus, is it also possible to get the RMAIL command:
> >
> > `C-x 5 m' (`compose-mail-other-frame') to work for gnus?
>
> Implemented in oGnus v0.01.

I found the source of my confusion with manual versions.

I keep pgnus somewhat current and have aimed emacs at its lisp and
texi directories.  My last update (info pages) was old enough to still
say 5.8.7  Although it was a somewhat old version of 5.8.8.

After cvs updating yesterday I used the info reader to look at the new
info file `pgnus/texi/gnus'  I used the -f flag to open the file
directly or so I thought.  But still saw 5.7 manual version.

This command info -f gnus  (while in texi directory)

Finally I looked up `info info' to see if I had it wrong.  Guess what,
I couldn't find the `-f' operator in `info info'  No section with
title like `Options' either.  (except internal options).

Using `s' search and inserting `-f' gives lots of hits but none of
them are about the `-f' option.

Finally resorted to `man info' and found the option immediately.
And an example:

      info -f ./foo.info
              show file ./foo.info, not searching dir

Notice the ./
he he... Even with `info -f file' I was still getting the 5.7 manual,
because I hadn't thought to say ./file