* Not wrapping References: and unwanted 8-bit in the headers
@ 1998-07-16 13:37 Jason L Tibbitts III
From: Jason L Tibbitts III @ 1998-07-16 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I forget just when the last time this came up was, but I ran across another
problem with not wrapping References:.  There are folks on this list
(namely everyone at CMU, I think) whose MTAs bounce every message with any
header line linger than 510 characters.  If you are finding that threads
just die suddenly, well, you should check that you're not behind one of
these MTAs.  I get quite a few bounces off of this list because of this
after a good discussion gets rolling.

While I'm at it, there seems to be a slight problem with sending
replies/followups to a message with a From: that was MIME-encoded.
Sometimes the To: and In-Reply-To: headers will end up with the unencoded
(8-bit and hence illegal) version of the From: line, which ends up bouncing
off of some sites.

 - J<

only message in thread, other threads:[~1998-07-16 13:37 UTC | newest]