* Agent, unplugged use, and nnvirtual
@ 2003-04-07 21:06 David S Goldberg
From: David S Goldberg @ 2003-04-07 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

After some growing pains when the code first changed, the current
state of the agent code has convinced me of its utility and I use it
regularly to deal with my mail groups (nnimap).  For the past week, in
anticipation of some long travel, I decided to try it for some of the
nntp groups I read.  A long time ago, I used persistent articles
(e.g. the cache) to keep around articles in nntp groups that I thought
were particularly useful.  After losing many of them when my employer
installed a new server I decided to use a different approach.  For
each nntp group I have an equivalent nnml group and an nnvirtual group
that ties them together.  I keep the nntp and nnml groups subscribed
at level 5 and the nnvirtual at level 3 which is my default reading
level.  So far so good.  I tried adding the nnvirtual groups to the
agent.  No dice.  Nothing even got downloaded.  So I removed the
nnvirtual groups and added the nntp groups.  Now the articles get
downloaded but when running unplugged, the nnvirtual group does not
see them.  If I enter the nntp group directly I do see them, so the
agent is working.  I therefore suspect a bug in nnvirtual.  Or am I
just totally confused?

Thanks,
--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: Agent, unplugged use, and nnvirtual
@ 2003-04-08  1:35 ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-04-08  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

David S Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net> writes:

> After some growing pains when the code first changed, the current
> state of the agent code has convinced me of its utility and I use it
> regularly to deal with my mail groups (nnimap).  For the past week, in
> anticipation of some long travel, I decided to try it for some of the
> nntp groups I read.  A long time ago, I used persistent articles
> (e.g. the cache) to keep around articles in nntp groups that I thought
> were particularly useful.  After losing many of them when my employer
> installed a new server I decided to use a different approach.  For
> each nntp group I have an equivalent nnml group and an nnvirtual group
> that ties them together.  I keep the nntp and nnml groups subscribed
> at level 5 and the nnvirtual at level 3 which is my default reading
> level.  So far so good.  I tried adding the nnvirtual groups to the
> agent.  No dice.  Nothing even got downloaded.  So I removed the
> nnvirtual groups and added the nntp groups.  Now the articles get
> downloaded but when running unplugged, the nnvirtual group does not
> see them.  If I enter the nntp group directly I do see them, so the
> agent is working.  I therefore suspect a bug in nnvirtual.  Or am I
> just totally confused?

Nope.  I think that you're right on.  I looked at the agent and
nnvirtual once and found similar problems.  It's going to be a while
before I have a chance to look into it again.

Kevin