* auto-marking my own messages
@ 2003-03-09 13:46 David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2003-03-09 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: dave

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help with this; I can't find the answer in the
manual, but it seems like such an obvious thing that someone must've
solved it.  I have myself set up as a Cc: recipient on all of my
outgoing messages, mostly so that I can browse complete mail threads
in my INBOX summary buffer using `A T' and `^'.  However, I'm really
not interested when one of these emails from _me_ comes in -- I wrote
it so I probably don't need to read it -- I just want it there for
bookeeping purposes.  What I'd like is for Gnus to automatically mark
it as 'read' so that I don't see it by default, and preferably not
download it from the IMAP server unless I ask to look at it.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

* Re: auto-marking my own messages
@ 2003-03-09 14:23 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-09 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:

> I'm hoping someone can help with this; I can't find the answer in the
> manual, but it seems like such an obvious thing that someone must've
> solved it.  I have myself set up as a Cc: recipient on all of my
> outgoing messages, mostly so that I can browse complete mail threads
> in my INBOX summary buffer using `A T' and `^'.  However, I'm really
> not interested when one of these emails from _me_ comes in -- I wrote
> it so I probably don't need to read it -- I just want it there for
> bookeeping purposes.  What I'd like is for Gnus to automatically mark
> it as 'read' so that I don't see it by default, and preferably not
> download it from the IMAP server unless I ask to look at it.

In Oort Gnus, you can use the Gcc header instead of the Cc header to
get your local copy, and you can use the variable
gnus-gcc-mark-as-read to mark it as read automatically.

Not sure what to do about the `download' part, though -- messages are
normally not downloaded from the server unless you actually select
them for reading.  So maybe you're talking about the headers?  Or you
use the agent?  Or something else entirely is going on?

* Re: auto-marking my own messages
@ 2003-03-10  2:00   ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2003-03-10  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:
>
>> I'm hoping someone can help with this; I can't find the answer in the
>> manual, but it seems like such an obvious thing that someone must've
>> solved it.  I have myself set up as a Cc: recipient on all of my
>> outgoing messages, mostly so that I can browse complete mail threads
>> in my INBOX summary buffer using `A T' and `^'.  However, I'm really
>> not interested when one of these emails from _me_ comes in -- I wrote
>> it so I probably don't need to read it -- I just want it there for
>> bookeeping purposes.  What I'd like is for Gnus to automatically mark
>> it as 'read' so that I don't see it by default, and preferably not
>> download it from the IMAP server unless I ask to look at it.
>
> In Oort Gnus, you can use the Gcc header instead of the Cc header to
> get your local copy, and you can use the variable
> gnus-gcc-mark-as-read to mark it as read automatically.

Argh.  I was using Gcc to get my local copy, but this makes sending
mail painful when I'm connected because I use IMAP, and combined with
the long turnaround time for SMTP to send the message, the time to
stick the message in my remote IMAP mailbox pushes it over the
usability limit.  I was very relieved to discover today that I could
add myself to the Cc: line and eliminate that overhead.  It would
involve pushing fewer bytes over the network (potentially many fewer
if the message has attachments) if I could just pre-mark incoming
messages from myself in a given group as read.

> Not sure what to do about the `download' part, though -- messages are
> normally not downloaded from the server unless you actually select
> them for reading.  So maybe you're talking about the headers?  Or you
> use the agent?  Or something else entirely is going on?

I use the agent, but yes, pre-marking the message as read so that it
doesn't appear in the summary buffer by default should be enough to
prevent it from being downloaded.

Thanks for your attention,
Dave
--

@ 2003-03-10 14:15     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-10 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:

> Argh.  I was using Gcc to get my local copy, but this makes sending
> mail painful when I'm connected because I use IMAP, and combined with
> the long turnaround time for SMTP to send the message, the time to
> stick the message in my remote IMAP mailbox pushes it over the
> usability limit.  I was very relieved to discover today that I could
> add myself to the Cc: line and eliminate that overhead.  It would
> involve pushing fewer bytes over the network (potentially many fewer
> if the message has attachments) if I could just pre-mark incoming
> messages from myself in a given group as read.

OK.  It just occurred to me that you could use scoring to mark
messages from yourself as read.  Scoring is only applied after
entering the group, though, so the *Group* buffer will still show the
wrong number of unread messages.