* Memory exhausted while saving .newsrc.eld
@ 2003-02-24 22:30 Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-02-24 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just noticed that doing a 'J s' (gnus-agent-fetch-session) on
sufficient large number of groups can make the gnus-newsrc-alist so
large that you run out of memory while saving it.  I've traced the
problem to gnus-save-newsrc-file which writes everything to a buffer
then uses save-buffer to write it to a file.  I'd like to rewrite
gnus-save-newsrc-file to write directly to a temp file then, if no
errors occur during writing, rename the temp file as .newsrc.eld.  I
plan on handing version-control correctly so that the new
gnus-backup-startup-file will be respected.  The only problem that I
see is gnus-save-quick-newsrc-hook.  This hook is currently run while
in the temporary buffer.  By its documentation, you can use it to set
the buffer's version-control.  Does anyone use this hook for anything
other than setting version-control?  If so, I'd sure like to hear
about it.

Thanks,
Kevin