* Newbie question - expiring
@ 2000-01-07 13:07 Roman Belenov
From: Roman Belenov @ 2000-01-07 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Is it possible to make ticked articles unexpirable by default (I've
made all my mail groups autoexpirable since I want most of mail to
expire automaticaly) ?

--
 							With regards, Roman.

* Re: Newbie question - expiring
@ 2000-01-07 15:21 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-01-07 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Roman Belenov <roman@nstl.nnov.ru> writes:

> Is it possible to make ticked articles unexpirable by default[...]

Ticked articles _are_ unexpirable by default.  What makes you think
they aren't?

kai

* Re: Newbie question - expiring
@ 2000-01-07 16:39   ` Roman Belenov
From: Roman Belenov @ 2000-01-07 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Ticked articles _are_ unexpirable by default.  What makes you think
> they aren't?

>From the Gnus manual, "Unread articles" topic :

"Ticked articles" are articles that will remain visible always.  If
you see an article that you find interesting, or you want to put
off reading it, or replying to it, until sometime later, you'd
typically tick it.  However, articles can be expired, so if you
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
want to keep an article forever, you'll have to make it persistent
(*Note Persistent Articles::).

--

@ 2000-01-07 17:05     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-01-07 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Roman Belenov <roman@nstl.nnov.ru> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> > Ticked articles _are_ unexpirable by default.  What makes you think
> > they aren't?
>
> >From the Gnus manual, "Unread articles" topic :
>
> [...]  However, articles can be expired, so if you
>                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> want to keep an article forever, you'll have to make it persistent
> (*Note Persistent Articles::).

I see.  Right.  The manual is referring to news articles, here.  You
were talking about auto-expire which only applies to mail groups, and
in mail groups, ticked messages aren't expired.

Maybe the Gnus manual needs clarification?

kai

* Re: Newbie question - expiring
@ 2000-01-07 18:59       ` Roman Belenov
From: Roman Belenov @ 2000-01-07 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> I see.  Right.  The manual is referring to news articles, here.  You
> were talking about auto-expire which only applies to mail groups, and
> in mail groups, ticked messages aren't expired.

Well, so it works just as I wanted !

> Maybe the Gnus manual needs clarification?

IMHO this behaviour should be described in "Unread articles" and
"Expiring Mail" nodes (at least those were the ones I've read trying
to find the answer :-).

--
 							With regards, Roman.