* Caps postage
@ 1997-08-02 23:11 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-08-02 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Since sending one biiig package over the pond is much, much cheaper
than sending lots of itty-bitty packages, I was wondering whether
someone in the US would like to play post office.  I send one package
containing lots of other packages (fully addressed and stuff), you
receive the package, open it, and send all the smaller packages on.
I'll include postage for the small packages, of course.

How much does, uhm, a 125g (1/4 pound) package cost to ship within the
US?  (As I haven't got the caps yet, I don't know for sure how much
they weigh, so this is all preliminary.)

The main problem would be the customs.  I could mark the biiig package
as a gift and give it a low value, though.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Caps postage
@ 1997-08-12 15:14 ` Danny Siu
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Danny Siu @ 1997-08-12 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:

  Lars> Since sending one biiig package over the pond is much, much cheaper
  Lars> than sending lots of itty-bitty packages, I was wondering whether
  Lars> someone in the US would like to play post office.  I send one
  Lars> package containing lots of other packages (fully addressed and
  Lars> stuff), you receive the package, open it, and send all the smaller
  Lars> packages on. I'll include postage for the small packages, of course.

OK.  Since no one responsed, I will play the postmaster if nobody else wants
to.  :-)

  Lars> How much does, uhm, a 125g (1/4 pound) package cost to ship within
  Lars> the US?  (As I haven't got the caps yet, I don't know for sure how
  Lars> much they weigh, so this is all preliminary.)

  Lars> The main problem would be the customs.  I could mark the biiig
  Lars> package as a gift and give it a low value, though.

  Lars> -- (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  Lars> larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

BTW, UPS (United Postal Service), the US mail service is on strike.  Today
is their 9th day on strike and there is no resolution yet.  But hopefully,
by the time I receive the capp package, they will be back working and we all
will have a cool capp for the rest of the summer.   (:-P

--
                                                                ^..^
 '/..\"                                                        ( oo )  )~

* Re: Caps postage
@ 1997-08-12 16:33   ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1997-08-12 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Danny Siu <dsiu@Adobe.COM> writes:

> BTW, UPS (United Postal Service), the US mail service is on strike.  Today
> is their 9th day on strike and there is no resolution yet.  But hopefully,
> by the time I receive the capp package, they will be back working and we all
> will have a cool capp for the rest of the summer.   (:-P

UPS stands for "United Parcel Service" and is a corporation.  It is a
seperate entity from the United States Postal Service which is
government run.  This strike won't affect our caps luckily.  :-)

   Jason R. Mastaler                      jason@mastaler.com

* Re: Caps postage
@ 1997-08-12 17:07     ` Kevin.Christian
From: Kevin.Christian @ 1997-08-12 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

In message <x7d8njweci.fsf@mastaler.com>, Jason R Mastaler writes:
> Danny Siu <dsiu@Adobe.COM> writes:
>
> > BTW, UPS (United Postal Service), the US mail service is on strike.  Today
> > is their 9th day on strike and there is no resolution yet.  But hopefully,
> > by the time I receive the capp package, they will be back working and we al
> > will have a cool capp for the rest of the summer.   (:-P
>
> UPS stands for "United Parcel Service" and is a corporation.  It is a
> seperate entity from the United States Postal Service which is
> government run.  This strike won't affect our caps luckily.  :-)
>
>    Jason R. Mastaler                      jason@mastaler.com

Well, UPS and USPS are different things but chances are it will affect
caps delivery. UPS had so much traffic going though it that other carriers
can't simply split it among themselves. If I remember correctly, as soon as
the UPS strike started the US Postal Service put a 4 package per visit limit
on their lines. This may mean several trips to the post office for whoever
plays the role of postmaster for distributing US caps. Better to hope
that the strike will be over by September.

Lars: Instead of a single distribution point for the US, how about multiple
points per urban center? Not as effective but maybe a single drop at a
university dorm can cover several people.

Kevin

* Re: Caps postage
@ 1997-08-12 18:00   ` John Werner x25054
From: John Werner x25054 @ 1997-08-12 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Danny> BTW, UPS (United Postal Service), the US mail service is on
    Danny> strike....

Nope, UPS is not the United Postal Service.  UPS is United Parcel
Service, they are not related to the US Mail in any form.  US Mail is
still running without any problems.

- John

--
John Werner  <werner@tij.wb.xerox.com>	| "The opinions expressed are my own."
   W: (716)422-5054   H: (716)436-3607  -  Rochester, New York, USA

* Re: Caps postage
@ 1997-08-12 18:11   ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 1997-08-12 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Danny Siu <dsiu@Adobe.COM> writes:

> BTW, UPS (United Postal Service), the US mail service is on strike.
> Today is their 9th day on strike and there is no resolution yet.
> But hopefully, by the time I receive the capp package, they will be
> back working and we all will have a cool capp for the rest of the
> summer.  (:-P

FYI, UPS isn't the US mail service, it's a private company.

--
matta

* Re: Caps postage
       [not found] <199708121707.LAA27061@arrakis.>
@ 1997-08-12 18:41 ` Michael Lamoureux
From: Michael Lamoureux @ 1997-08-12 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

 "kevin" == Kevin Christian <Kevin.Christian@symbios.com> writes:

kevin> Well, UPS and USPS are different things but chances are it will
kevin> affect caps delivery. UPS had so much traffic going though it
kevin> that other carriers can't simply split it among themselves.

One report I saw on CNN said that UPS handled 80% of the package
deliveries in the US.  If that's true, then the problem is obvious.  I
guess another bit of data is that UPS is still delivering, there are
just a lot of grey-haired manager types driving trucks around (I've
seen three different UPS trucks just today).  But I'm sure that their
capacity is still *much* lower than normal.

in case anyone really cares,
Michael