From: Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com>
Subject: Re: Strange auto-caching
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 01:07:39 -0600	[thread overview]

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> I have (add-hook 'gnus-select-article-hook
> 'gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article).  Some articles have wrong %O
> status, even though they are shown.  Look at this screenshot:
>

> Look at the articles marked "-R": I was reading them just some
> minutes ago, but selecting them didn't change %O from - to +.
>
> Look at the last two articles: when I entered the group they were
> marked as not downloaded, but reading them downloaded them and
> changed the "- " to "+R".
>
> I'd almost say that "." (new/unseen) marked articles get frobbed
> correctly.  It's even true.  But also there is the second line in the
> summary window: Ami's article got changed from "- " to "+R".
>
> It is all very confusing.
>
> Maybe it is useful to know that the internal data structures in Gnus
> are not corrupted: after reading all new downloaded articles in a group
> (changing "+ " to "+R" in the process), I can exit the group and then
> re-enter it and then the old downloaded articles change their marks
> from "- " to "+ "!  So the old articles are shown okay when there are
> no new ones, but the presence of new ones screws things up for the
> old ones.
>
> In the previous paragraph, both new and old articles are unread and
> downloaded.  New articles were downloaded in the same session (or
> perhaps by the last `g J s' invocation), whereas old articles were
> downloaded in a previous session.  (I'm not sure if exit Emacs/start
> Emacs is what distinguishes old from new articles, or just another `g
> J s'.)
> --
> A turnip curses Elvis

Kai,
From what you are describing gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article updates
the internals correctly.  The problem has to be in its call to
gnus-summary-update-article-line.  I've already found, and I thought,
fixed a problem in this call.  There must be something else going
wrong.  Can you step through it to see what is happening?  What
happened before was that g-s-u-a-l jumped to, and updated, the wrong
line in the summary.

Kevin