From: Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Saving some read IMAP messages to a local folder
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 10:12:32 +0100	[thread overview]

tiarnan.ocorrain@logicacmg.com (Tiarnán Ó Corráin) writes:

> Hello--
>
> my problem is this: our IMAP server has severe quota
> limitations, and all too frequently I get an automated
> rap across the knuckles from the system admin.
>
> Is it possible to set a mark in the IMAP inbox for some
> messages, so that only those messages are saved in a local
> folder and deleted from the server?

I have exactly the same situation. I use the agent as a
cache to solve this. I have this in my .gnus:

(setq gnus-agent t)
(setq gnus-agent-consider-all-articles t)
(setq gnus-agent-expire-days 36500)
(add-hook 'gnus-select-article-hook 'gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article)

I then mark messages I don't want to keep on the server as
expirable and they will get deleted from the server. They
will still be available locally (given that the article at
some point has been fetched by the agent).

When I first tried this a couple of weeks ago, I missed
setting the gnus-agent-expire days to a large number and my
local articles got deleted as well.

Niklas