* Why doesn't agent expire expire?
@ 2003-01-10 15:15 Barry Fishman
From: Barry Fishman @ 2003-01-10 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have set:

  (setf gnus-agent-expire-days 0)

I do not have any category information set up.  I'm running the
CVS version of gnus as of Jan 9 (am EST) with GNU emacs.

When reading unplugged, and catch up on a news group "c y", and then
run:

  M-x gnus-agent-expire

although some articles are removed (the first time I do it), I find
that my agent cache area still has most articles being saved.  They
show up in my group summary buffers colorized as being in the cache
with subject information, and are readable, so gnus appears to be
aware of them.  They are maked with a "O".  If I explicitly read each of them,
and do another expire, all but one of them disappear, although most of
them are still in the cache.  If I do a:

  M-x gnus-agent-regenerate

The existing articles are again visible (marked "O") but are not
removed with a gnus-agent-expire.  However, if I read each of them,
again and do a gnus-agent-expire, all but one are removed from the
summary buffer, but not all of them are deleted from the cache.  A
gnus-agent-regenerate brings them back. [Repeat]....

I would expect an expire done with gnus-agent-expire-days set to 0,
after a catchup to remove all the articles in the group.  Why doesn't
it?

* Re: Why doesn't agent expire expire?
@ 2003-01-11  8:47 ` kgreiner
From: kgreiner @ 2003-01-11  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Barry Fishman <barry_fishman@att.net> writes:

> I have set:
>
>   (setf gnus-agent-expire-days 0)
>
> I do not have any category information set up.  I'm running the
> CVS version of gnus as of Jan 9 (am EST) with GNU emacs.
>
> When reading unplugged, and catch up on a news group "c y", and then
> run:

You did all of this while unplugged?

>   M-x gnus-agent-expire
>
> although some articles are removed (the first time I do it), I find
> that my agent cache area still has most articles being saved.  They
> show up in my group summary buffers colorized as being in the cache
> with subject information, and are readable, so gnus appears to be
> aware of them.  They are maked with a "O".  If I explicitly read each of them,
> and do another expire, all but one of them disappear, although most of
> them are still in the cache.  If I do a:
>
>   M-x gnus-agent-regenerate
>
> The existing articles are again visible (marked "O") but are not
> removed with a gnus-agent-expire.  However, if I read each of them,
> again and do a gnus-agent-expire, all but one are removed from the
> summary buffer, but not all of them are deleted from the cache.  A
> gnus-agent-regenerate brings them back. [Repeat]....
>
> I would expect an expire done with gnus-agent-expire-days set to 0,
> after a catchup to remove all the articles in the group.  Why doesn't
> it?

The last article can NOT be expired as the agent uses it as a marker
to indicate which headers have been fetched (All fetched headers
preceed the marker while unfetched headers follow it).

As for the other articles, I did find a problem with
gnus-agent-expire.  This problem would result in an article
disappearing until regenerate restored it.  You can get the fix from
CVS.

Kevin