* gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function and digests
@ 1999-12-16 18:00 Raymond Scholz
From: Raymond Scholz @ 1999-12-16 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I prefer gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function to use
'gnus-gather-threads-by-references. But for digests this is usually
not a good solution as all the digests I've seen so far don't contain
reference information.

So for some groups (I receive as a digest) I want to have threading by
subject.

I use:

(add-hook 'gnus-summary-mode-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (cond
	     ((string-match "list\.linux\.kernel" gnus-newsgroup-name)

	      (setq gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function
		    'gnus-gather-threads-by-subject)

	      (setq gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function
		    'gnus-gather-threads-by-references)))))

This is probably a little awkward and it even does not work, if you
know a better solution please let me know.

My first thought was to set the threading function in the group
parameters. But digests behave strange (maybe I should say smart), as
they generate a new nndoc group for every digest. This new group
doesn't inherit it's fathers group parameter.

So is there a good way to set threading on a per group basis even for
digests?

Cheers,
  Ray
--
Raymond Scholz -*- rscholz@tzi.de -*- http://www.tzi.de/~rscholz/
FB 3 Informatik, Universität Bremen -*- PGP key available via WWW

* Re: gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function and digests
@ 1999-12-17 17:29 ` Toby Speight
From: Toby Speight @ 1999-12-17 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Raymond> Raymond Scholz <URL:mailto:rscholz@tzi.de>

0> In article <m3ln6urcje.fsf.emacs.gnus@rscholz.dyndns.org>, Raymond
0> wrote:

Raymond> My first thought was to set the threading function in the
Raymond> group parameters.  But digests behave strange (maybe I should
Raymond> say smart), as they generate a new nndoc group for every
Raymond> digest.  This new group doesn't inherit it's fathers group
Raymond> parameter.

Set it in a score file, substituting "all" for the article number you
get in the nndoc group's name.

The easiest way to do this is to create a score file by using the 'I'
or 'L' command, then renaming the resulting file afterwards.