* Mailcap problem specifying application/octet-stream
@ 2000-08-15 15:20 John S Cooper
From: John S Cooper @ 2000-08-15 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

My .mailcap has the following line (I use Win2K):

application/octet-stream; shelex %s

(to let the OS launch programs based on their filename suffix.)

However, my mailcap-mime-data now has 2 entries for application/octet-stream:

My .mailcap stuff:

  ("octet-stream"
   (viewer . "shelex %s")
   (type . "application/octet-stream"))

.. and the default:

  ("octet-stream"
   (viewer . mailcap-save-binary-file)
   (non-viewer . t)
   (type . "application/octet-stream"))

When I hit RET on the MIME button, it seems the default action takes effect and
I'm prompted to save the attachment to a file.

It looks like mailcap-add-mailcap-entry might be keeping both entries because
the viewer is different in each case (although this is something of a guess!).

Any ideas on how I can make my .mailcap specification for
application/octet-stream override the default?

Thanks,

    --- John

* Re: Mailcap problem specifying application/octet-stream
@ 2000-08-15 17:19 ` Toby Speight
From: Toby Speight @ 2000-08-15 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

0> In article <uvgx23616.fsf@KONTIKI.cam.eu.citrix.com>,
0> John S. Cooper <URL:mailto:John.Cooper@eu.citrix.com> ("John") wrote:

John> However, my mailcap-mime-data now has 2 entries for
John> application/octet-stream:
John>
John> My .mailcap stuff:
John>
John>   ("octet-stream"
John>    (viewer . "shelex %s")
John>    (type . "application/octet-stream"))
John>
John> .. and the default:
John>
John>   ("octet-stream"
John>    (viewer . mailcap-save-binary-file)
John>    (non-viewer . t)
John>    (type . "application/octet-stream"))
John>
John> When I hit RET on the MIME button, it seems the default action
John> takes effect and I'm prompted to save the attachment to a file.
John>
John> It looks like mailcap-add-mailcap-entry might be keeping both
John> entries because the viewer is different in each case (although
John> this is something of a guess!).
John>
John> Any ideas on how I can make my .mailcap specification for
John> application/octet-stream override the default?

Perhaps Lisp functions take precedence over shell commands in
mm-mailcap-data?

Is that the case?  If so, is there a way to override it?

* Re: Mailcap problem specifying application/octet-stream
@ 2000-08-15 17:30   ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-08-15 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Toby Speight <streapadair@gmx.net> writes:

> Perhaps Lisp functions take precedence over shell commands in
> mm-mailcap-data?

It's the truth.

> Is that the case?  If so, is there a way to override it?

Remove the lisp function entry or redefine mailcap-viewer-lessp.

ShengHuo

* Re: Mailcap problem specifying application/octet-stream
@ 2000-08-16 14:50     ` John Cooper (UK)
From: John Cooper (UK) @ 2000-08-16 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

 > Toby Speight <streapadair@gmx.net> writes:
 >
 > > Perhaps Lisp functions take precedence over shell commands in
 > > mm-mailcap-data?
 >
 > It's the truth.
 >
 > > Is that the case?  If so, is there a way to override it?
 >
 > Remove the lisp function entry or redefine mailcap-viewer-lessp.

Thanks for the clarification.

The following (in my .gnus) removes the default application/octet-stream entry,
thus allowing my .mailcap specification to take effect:

(require 'mailcap)

(let* ((application (assoc "application" mailcap-mime-data))
       (octet-stream (assoc "octet-stream" application)))
  (when (symbolp (cdr (assoc 'viewer octet-stream)))
    (delete octet-stream application)))

    --- John